Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux experts needed

Banned

Linux experts needed

I am writing a paper for the ACM (those bastards expect me to occaionally contribute) and I need some Linux experts. I will just ask a few questions of you, depending on your own self-declared areas of expertise and if your answers are used I will cite you and either your company or personal webpage or whatever you like.

The subject of the paper is an investigative report on why I don't think Linux meets my, rather typical needs. Is it because Linux just isn't capable, is it because the functionality is so diverse that it is hard to navigate, or is it because I am just uneducated? (hopefully this will help outline trouble areas for other people trying to consider the switch to linux)

Anyhow, I'll be recruiting from elsewhere of course, but I thought it might be fun for some of you.. I am on a strict schedule however so you'll only have a day or two to respond to each question.

If you are interested, please reply here with our area of expertise and favorite distro.

cheers,

catch

The subject of the paper is an investigative report on why I don't think Linux meets my, rather typical needs. Is it because Linux just isn't capable, is it because the functionality is so diverse that it is hard to navigate, or is it because I am just uneducated? (hopefully this will help outline trouble areas for other people trying to consider the switch to linux)
    IMHO, it's rarely the case of the end user being uneducated, unless they really don't want to be doing what they're doing in the first place. For example a company forcing users to use certain distros of linux, because it's what *THEY* want, and not what the end user wants. To me, linux is far from not being capable.

But enough rambling, i'd love to answer some questions. I'm a linux enthusiast and i'll stop right there. No need for other self-declarations.

Right now, slack is probably my most used distro.

Sounds like a pretty fun project btw.
    -Steve
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

Hey Hey,

I'd definately be interested in reading the paper when it's finish and I'm definately interested in helping if you need it.

Distro of Choice: Right now I'm torn between SuSE and Ubuntu but I've got FC4, Libranet and Vector Linux installed as well

Area of Expertise: I use Linux as a desktop OS, I use it for all my python development, I've supported an environment of 200+ Programmers running RH9 and later SuSE, I use it for security tools and just to play... so pretty much anything is game I guess.

Peace,
    HT

As long as you fix my broken english, I'm willing to contribute..

I've been using GNU/Linux as my main desktop (at home) for quite some time.. (over 5 years)
    Using it for a wide variety of tasks (Editing word documents, surfing the www, programming C and C++ in KDEvelop ,playing games and now even my taxes (thx OSOSS))

At work we have a blend of Windows desktops and linux servers.
    The servers are used for mail, httpd, databases (postgres) and a wide variety of scripts and programs..

I'm mainly using Slackware (home and hobby) and SuSE (work)..
    And I even got gentoo to install (stage 3) and do what it was needed for
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

I'm a Gentoo user (it's in the sig, innit?) and I'd be glad to help out.

Usually, people stick to Windows because it's what they know. My understanding of the (very simplified) problem is this:
    1) People don't know anything but Windows. They want their start button and their mouse (you can have both in Linux, but moving on..)
    2) FUD. Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt. Microsoft does a good job of spreading that, saying that Windows is better and why would you trust Linux anyway? Etc etc.

Area of expertise : *shrug* I can find my way around configuration files and I know enough to be able to use any distribution fairly easily.
    Chances are I broke it and fixed it before..
    But I'm just an end-user, really (yeah, those exist for Linux)
    Definitions: Hacker vs. Cracker
    Gentoo Linux user, which probably says a lot about me..
    AGA member 14460 || KGS : Trevoke and games archived

As a linux user who migrated from windows after only 3 years of using M$ products I can honestly say linux is just as easy to use and capable as windows or mac os.

I have recently started a list of applications in Linux that do the same or more in linux.
    The list is very small right now, please feel free to offer more input anyone.

http://keo-geek.cjb.net/w2l.htm

I am no "On-paper" expert but I have been using linux as a hard core desktop replacment since 1998, and feel very comfortable with it.
    I have used mandrake, suse, ubuntu, kubuntu, redhat fc 1, 2, 3, and 4. My OS of choice is slackware. Running slack 10.2 right now. Been running it since 7.2

And with the KDE windowing system linux is just as easy to install and operate as any other OS.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have. I'll be more than happy to try to help out.
    As far as being recognized, I'm a bit shy so no need to.
    Whats a \"START\" button?

Or Ki$$ my A$$

Ho ho............The great catch needs help?...............he comes to us?

We know bugger all about security?

What does he know...........except how to get some butts that far up?

I have seen who has fallen for it........

You might try this guy: http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/
    Seems like he might know something that could be of use.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Definitions: Hacker vs. Cracker
    Gentoo Linux user, which probably says a lot about me..
    AGA member 14460 || KGS : Trevoke and games archived

Banned
    Ok... first off, this thread is not the place to discuss Linux's capabilities, if you would like to contribute simply post your area of expertise and favorite distro.

Nothing else is needed at this time, or will be considered. Also, please keep in mind, some questions will be simple, others very complicated.

nihil, a few things, first this isn't just about security. Second it is largely about experts' persepectives. If you'd like to contribute, great.. if not, there are many other threads to gripe in.

cheers,

catch