Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: device manager error

I'd return to safe mode, run an AV scan, spyware scan, then check the users and groups to make sure something hasn't messed with your admin permissions. Hijackthis may help, too, after you run the scans.

If you have a file corruption, you can run a repair from the original CD, but I'd try the above first.

therenegade :
    already tried it .. but looks like its damaged itself :S
    `cos when i did so the ****ing program didnt read the disk .. it all the time keep asking me 4 it and it was in the cdrom and it aint damaged .. i could c it from my computer

May sound silly, but are you sure you had the cd in the actual cd drive and not a cd and/or dvd burning drive? i have some programs whos cds are not recognized if i put them in my cd/dvd burner.
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

i have only 1 dvd-rw that i installed the windows from ..

Again...just follow the advice that's already been given..
    1.Try to do scans in safe mode(your antivirus,adaware,the whole deal..also throw in HJT and see if you can get something.If you need help with the HJT logs,feel free to post back here or try out www.hijackthis.de
    2.You've said you've tried to make a new admin account and it doesn't seem to work..try it again.Off the top of my head,there's also a default admin account in safe mode,tried it with that?
    3.Since you say your cd won't seem to run..try doing a repair install as rapier57 suggested.Here's a pretty good link which has step by step instructions:
    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Repai...s-XP-t138.html

Cheers

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Off the top of my head,there's also a default admin account in safe mode,tried it with that?
    I believe you're thinking of XP Home. Somewhere he said he has XP Pro.

Open an MMC by doing START>RUN type in MMC
    Add the Group Policy snapin
    Search under administrative and see if someone clipped the ability you're looking to perform.
    There are literally thousands of permissions in there to set. My guess is that somewhere in there you will find that the admin account was locked out of performing specific tasks. I have dumbass junior admins who do this sort of thing all the time.

Another place to look is security config and analysis. Someone could have jerked around with a policy in there too. You add that as a snap in item too.

If it's really fux0red, have yourself a nice re-install party.

--Th13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

lol , i gues thats the prob .. cos its empty :S
    i can c only 1 dir named "console root" and i get "no items shown in this view"

another prob :S
    i tried now 2 open user accounts .. control panel , user accounts and then user accounts ..
    the 2nd user accounts do nothin , its like empty link , i click on it and i get nothin , even in the tast manager i cant c anythin when i click on it ..

AOs Resident Troll
    Sounds like your install...is really mucked

I would be looking at a repair....

or a parallel install to pull your data

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Run some regcleaner tool to fix registry.
    Did you reinstall Windows Script or IE?(you can reinstall both of them,usualy helps)
    and you can also use "control userpasswords2" for creating of user accounts.
    It can be also be some bug that I got once when Admin group disapered, but you will still able to create user accounts and groups throug console with "net", for more info about "net" you can run in console "help net".
    // too far away outside of limit