Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Symantec AntiVirus Scan Engine has serious bug

Symantec AntiVirus Scan Engine has serious bug

OCTOBER 10, 2005 (IDG NEWS SERVICE) - Users of Symantec Corp.'s AntiVirus Scan Engine are being advised to upgrade their software, as a result of a critical security bug in the product. The flaw could theoretically allow an attacker to take control of an affected system, according to a Symantec advisory.

Because of a bug in the Scan Engine's administrative interface, it is possible for an attacker to take over a system running the software by creating a specially crafted HTTP request, Symantec said. The attacker would need to gain access to an exposed administrative port on the server for this attack, the report said.

Users of Versions 4.0 and 4.3 of the Scan Engine product are advised to upgrade to Version 4.3.12, Symantec said.

Symantec is the second security vendor to report a major security bug in its products this week. Kaspersky Labs Ltd. also reported a similarly critical flaw in its Antivirus Library, which is used by a wide range of the company's antivirus products.
    http://www.computerworld.com/securit...105284,00.html
    Symantec AntiVirus Scan Engine has serious bug - Computerworld

Hello Guys,

Well, this kind of reports realy makes me worried, I have seriously started thinking of changing my AV software, I have a few, I have the latest of PANDA AV Platinum, may be I should give it a try.

Regarsd
    The FACT that people ignore FACTS
    doesnt mean that FACTS are not FACTS

Smile

Users of Versions 4.0 and 4.3 of the Scan Engine product are advised to upgrade to Version 4.3.12, Symantec said.
    Well, how do you know what's the version of your scan engine? If your using for example Norton Security 2003.

Time and time again ... that's another proof that Symantec isn't as reliable as I thought even with all the Updates!

I think it's time to look for another product, maybe something faster too.

Cheers,

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

Well, how do you know what's the version of your scan engine? If your using for example Norton Security 2003.
    Open the product and the scan engine version is right there lookin at you.

This is the 4th serious bug in Symantec AV this year. There were a few false reports on bugtraq about issues with SAV being able to see and clean files when copied to a thumb drive but those were quickly squashed.

Anyway, if you have an enterprise deployment, better get the scan engines up to date and fast.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Smile

Open the product and the scan engine version is right there lookin at you.
    Well... not exactly!

1st you open the product NAV
    2nd Click on the NAV Icon on the top left
    3th Click on About...
    4th Click on Noton Antivirus

Then I was able to see a Norton Antivirus Version number.

Cheers,

Well... not exactly!
    Shortcut:

1) Double-click the SAV/NAV icon in the systray.
    2) Look at screen.

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Some AV's also have serios install and uninstall problems and some have problem with compatibelity with other programs.
    // too far away outside of limit

Let's make a huge deal out of this and treat it like it's the end of the world!

It works for symantec on a problem that doesn't even exist - the Mac OS X virus.
    Compiling all the stuff for OS X...

Huh?

Originally posted here by thehorse13
    Huh?
    Good, I am not the only one that doesn't know what the hell he's/she's talking about.

Cheers:
    DjM