Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Violence in games stimulates brain for aggression!

Violence in games stimulates brain for aggression!

Violent video games appear to put the human brain in a mood to fight, according to a new study from Michigan State University.

In the study, 13 males played the first-person-shooter game "Tactical Ops: Assault on Terror" while in a functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) system, which measures brain activity. The brain scans of 11 of the subjects exhibited "large observed effects" characteristic of aggressive thoughts. The researchers said the pattern of brain activity can be considered caused by virtual violence.

"There is a causal link between playing the first-person shooting game in our experiment and brain-activity pattern that are considered as characteristic for aggressive cognitions and effects," said René Weber, assistant professor of communication and telecommunication at MSU. "There is a neurological link, and there is a short-term causal relationship. Violent video games frequently have been criticized for enhancing aggressive reactions such as aggressive cognitions, aggressive effects or aggressive behavior. On a neurobiological level we have shown the link exists."

FMRI monitors the brain and examines how it is stimulated by different types of physical sensation or activity. Sight, sound, touch and other physical sensations show up on an FMRI image. Increased blood flow to a section of the brain indicates increased activity.

Full-lenght Article
    My little cousin is a victim, he always pretend to fight enemies, this is by far true for childs. But for adults, I did not see any real-life case, I play Doom and Tactical oops, and i don't feel like killing someone
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

What's wrong with killing people? I...I...I don't understand...

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    I think mostly, violence in games stimulates excuses for parents / people who don't want to be responsible for their own actions.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

Banned
    All I think it showed was that a part of the brain got activated that's related to reflexes and for coming up with all kinds of strategies. You might want to do the same braintest with someone who'se trying to win a game of chess.

Besides, kids have always played violent games. Especially games like 'cowboys and indians' seems pretty popular where kids with fake guns are battling kids with bows and rubber arrows. Even if they spay sports there's some violence in it. Soccer, for example, can be pretty violent with players tackling their opponents when the referee is looking in the other direction. Or what about those fight-sports for kids? Do you realise that a kid of 5 following karate lessons is actually learning how to bring down an opponent? That he will know several ways to disable or even kill an opponent within a year of karate lessons?

But I think it's just the responsibility of the parent to provide their kids the proper toys. So a parent buying GTA-3 for their preteen kids might not be doing something smart. But neither is letting them watch Tom and Jerry, where a mouse and a cat are extremely violent towards each other, baching each others heads all the time.

But hey, violent games are an easy target to blame for the violent youth. Forget about education, just blame the gaming industry...

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    Originally posted here by Katja
    But hey, violent games are an easy target to blame for the violent youth. Forget about education, just blame the gaming industry...
    Yeah...and maybe Schmidt can hold game programmers *personally* responsible for any damage that's done.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

Regal Making Handler
    Violence and youth != to computer games.

They are far to busy beating the crap out of each other and hanging around in gangs to play games on a PC
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    I was brought up on violent movies (Robocop all the Arnie, Van Dam etc movies in the 80s) and games (as far as that goes on a speccy and Amiga 500).

I haven't killed anyone yet.
    A few serious woundings and an unhealthy interest in things that go bang maybe but no deaths.

Banned
    According to the Register the Gaming industry is using the First Amendment as an argument for why these violent games should be allowed, calling the latest Californian law (AB 1179) regarding sales of violent games a violation of their rights of Free Speech.

Yeah, right... That First Amendment tends to be a bit overused. But hey... They might be succesful.

Instead of passing laws that are destined to be overturned by the courts, the state of California should be encouraging parents to use the existing video game ratings and content descriptors to make informed choices about whether to bring a particular video game into their home.
    And I agree with that!

Oh come on. The only ppl it would have any help in that would be really really young children.Like say 5-7 yr olds. The only way it would do that to adults is if they already had major anger issues to begin with.
    Scream If This Hurts Chica.

I have seen some convincing arguments arguing that video games, more than television or movies, have had an effect on violence.

At the end of WWI, during exit interviews with soldiers, the allies found that they were not properly training their soldiers to kill. They would, of course, fight intuitively until the moment of the kill. But when that moment came, thay found that the human consience took over, preventing their soldiers from killing when it mattered most.

SO they designed a training regimen with pop-up targets and simulated war scenarios, designed to instill in soldiers the autonomic response they wanted - if it moves, kill it. Very basic Pavlonian training. The result was that in WWII soldiers were more effective, close quarters combat was deadlier, and post-traumatic stress disorder (although it may not yet have been identified as suck).

The most convincing arguments I have seen against violent video games draw a parallel between this kind of military training and modern video games, arguing that violent video games are far worse than violent television. I haven't yet seen a study on this specific theory, but it certainly looks plausible to me.

Personally, I grew up on Tom and Jerry, Wile E. Coyote, the Smurfs, Marvin the Martian, Elmer Fudd, you name it. All violent. I never equated them to reality, because they are too surreal. I tmight well be different with video games designed to reflect reality, rather than parody it.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!