John Carpenter made his name as a horror and action film director with modern-day classics like The Thing, Halloween, and Escape from New York. He's obviously no stranger to horror, but he's no stranger to gaming, either.

Carpenter's currently working on the movie and game Psychopath with Titan Productions, and The Thing was adapted into a game in 2002. Most recently, he signed on to be the spokesman for VU Games' horror-fueled first-person PC shooter F.E.A.R. GameSpot had a chance to steal some time with the director to talk about his latest projects and his take on games as a whole.

GameSpot: How did you get involved with F.E.A.R.?

John Carpenter: I got involved with F.E.A.R. the easiest of possible ways. I was invited down to see the game being played. I had a presentation done for me, then I got to take it and play it myself. And I was immediately hooked. I said, "I want to be your spokesman."

GS: What was it about the game that appealed to you?

JC: The first thing that got me was the graphics. I always approach a game, mainly because of my background as a director, in terms of its graphic look. How does it look? Does it look real? Does it feel real to play? And I thought when I played F.E.A.R. and watched F.E.A.R., "This game has taken a giant step forward in terms of gaming." This is awesome. The freedom of movement, the character movement, the character development onscreen, the graphics, it's just a whole lot of fun.
Q&A: John Carpenter on his greatest F.E.A.R. - PC News at GameSpot