Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honda Winner Phishing Scam

Honda Winner Phishing Scam

I got the following in my e-mail yesterday. Now it came to a box that is not used for junk and very seldom receives any, so of course I had to read it.
    I have included the headers for those of you who like to try to trace people out.

X-XXXXXXXX-Received: 6105b9a0205560c976a5d9636df6ba5fe6fa7a89
    Delivered-To: XXXXXXXXXXXXX.com
    Received: by 10.70.110.3 with SMTP id i3cs2112wxc;
    Thu, 13 Oct 2005 04:40:08 -0700 (PDT)
    Received: by 10.36.80.10 with SMTP id d10mr2246092nzb;
    Return-Path: <williamsalfred23@hotmail.com>
    Received: from hotmail.com (bay24-f22.bay24.hotmail.com [64.4.18.72])
    by mx.XXXXXXXXX.com with ESMTP id 15si1430686nzn.2005.10.13.04.40.02;
    Received-SPF: pass (XXXXXXXXXXX: domain of williamsalfred23@hotmail.com designates 64.4.18.72 as permitted sender)
    Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC;
    Thu, 13 Oct 2005 04:40:02 -0700
    Message-ID: <BAY24-F22937B3B59B9DF55A004F2DE7A0@phx.gbl>
    Received: from 63.215.198.26 by by24fd.bay24.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP;
    Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:40:01 GMT
    X-Originating-IP: [62.192.141.27]
    X-Originating-Email: [williamsalfred23@hotmail.com]
    X-Sender: williamsalfred23@hotmail.com
    Reply-To: stevmorris@walla.com
    Bcc:
    Subject: RE: AWARD FINAL NOTIFICATION:
    Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 04:40:01 -0700
    Mime-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed
    X-OriginalArrivalTime: 13 Oct 2005 11:40:02.0068 (UTC) FILETIME=[D90C3540:01C5CFEA]

HONDA MOTOR CORPORATION COMPANY, THE NETHERLANDS,
    IN AFFILIATION WITH DE LOTTO NL INTERNATIONAL
    BIJLMERPLEIN
    888 1102 MG AMSTERDAM
    INTERNATIONAL PROMOTIONS DEPT.
    TICKET NUMBER: 2752246896
    SERIAL NUMBER: 652-662
    BATCH NUMBER : AT-040SB06-03

DEAR WINNER,

RE: AWARD FINAL NOTIFICATION:

We are pleased to inform you of the release, of the long awaited
    results of
    the HONDA MOTOR INTERNATIONAL PROMOTION PROGRAM held on the 2nd
    september 2005,Due to mix up of numbers,the results were released on
    the 13th octomber 2005

You were entered as dependent clients with: Reference
    SERIAL
    NUMBER: 652-662 and Batch number AT-040SB06-03.Your email address
    attached to the ticket number: 2752246896 that drew the lucky winning
    number, which consequently won the sweepstake in the first category, in
    four
    parts. You have been approved for a payment of 1,000,000.00euros (ONE
    MILLION
    EUROS.) in cash credited to file reference number: IPL/4249859609/WP1
    which
    is deposited with a Finance & Security Company in your favour as
    beneficiary
    and covered with HIGH INSURANCE POLICY. This is from a total cash prize
    of
    Ten million euros shared among the ten international winners in first
    categories. Along with a New Blue Honda FR - V Car.

Congratulations!!!!!

All participants were selected through a computer ballot system drawn
    from
    50,000 (Fifty thousand) names of email users around the world, as part
    of
    our international promotion program. Due to mix up of some names and
    addresses, we ask that you keep this award personal, till your claims
    have been processed and your funds remitted to you. This is part of our
    security measures to avoid double claiming or unwarranted taking
    advantage
    of the situation by other participants or impersonators.

To begin your claim, do file this form completely for the release of
    your
    winning by
    contacting the LEGAL DEPARTMENT OFFICE AS YOU FORWARD SAME TO US
    MR STEPHEN MORRISON .(Foreign Transfer Manager) ROYAL TRUST AGENCY
    BV.HONDA
    CLAIMING SECURITY AGENCY.
    205 Franz straat, Amsterdam - Netherlands
    Email:stevmorris@walla.com

1. FULL NAMES:........................

2. DATE OF BIRTH:.......................

3. SEX:.........................

4. MARITAL STATUS:...................

5. CONTACT ADDRESS:........................

6. TELEPHONE NUMBER:.........................

7. OCCUPATION:.............................

8. BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF COMPANY/INDIVIDUAL:.......................

9. REF. AND BATCH NUMBERS:.......................................

They are your agent, and responsible for the processing and transfer of
    your
    winnings to you.YOUR SECURITY FILE NUMBER IS W-91237-H067/B4 (keep
    personal)
    Remember, your
    winning must be claimed not later than (20th NOVEMBER 2005). Failure to
    claim your winning/fund will be added to next 10,000.000 euros AND CAR
    international lottery program.

Furthermore, should there be any change in your address, do inform your
    claims agent as soon as possible.
    Once againCongratulations.

Yours Sincerely,
    MR WILLIAMS AFRED
    HONDA MOTOR COMPANY/LOTTERY CO-ORDINATOR
    HONDA LOTTERY INTERNATIONAL
    AN AFFILIATE OF HONDA AMSTERDAM
    AND DE LOTTO NL INTERNATIONAL
    Notice that they have put a very short cut off date on it also. (I presume to pressure you into answering)
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

So, Katja, is that another one of those empty lot addresses?
    Just run right down there and check it out, eh?

Banned
    Lol. Let's check... Amsterdam? My favorite city! (Ajax rocks! and if you don't know what I'm talking about, you're not a soccer-fan. )

Two addresses in this one, though:
    DE LOTTO NL INTERNATIONAL
    BIJLMERPLEIN
    888 1102 MG AMSTERDAM

ROYAL TRUST AGENCY
    BV.HONDA
    CLAIMING SECURITY AGENCY.
    205 Franz straat, Amsterdam

Now, the first thing I notice is the second street name: 205 Franz straat. In the Netherlands the street name comes before the street number, thus: Franz straat 205, not the other way around. The space in the name is also unusual. And funnier, while Franz is a valid first name, in Dutch it's often written as Frans, with an S and not a Z. And this street is apparantly named after just someone's first name. No last name? Weird. There are 7 streets in Amsterdam starting with 'Frans', btw. None start with 'Franz'. So that's a fake one.

Back to the first one. Bijlmerplein 888 could be valid. I think it's the address of the ABN Amro bank at the crossing of Bijlmerplein and Hoogoorddreef. Or perhaps opposite of this bank. It is a valid address, though. Then again, Bijlmerplein is a very popular shopping center in the Bijlmer, a subsection of Amsterdam. So I googled for the address and lucky me: http://www.joewein.de/sw/419-phone-nl.htm
    The link shows a list of Dutch addresses used for these scams. And you'll find this address there too. This time:
    Mrs. Caroline Van Smith
    Games/Lottery Coordinator.
    De Lotto Netherlands International
    all response should be mail to
    agent_robortvpaul@excite.com
    =
    Mr. Robort Van Paul
    Financial Director,
    Netherlands Development Finance Company,
    De Amsterdamse
    Poort Bijlmerplein
    888 1102 MG Amsterdam
    1000 BV Amsterdam
    E-mail:fiduciary_rvpaul@excite.com
    Phone number +31-649-208-996
    Fax number:+31-84-718-9627
    And this one even has an email address and phone numbers. The email address doesn't excite me, though. It's some webmail provider. The +31-649-208-996 is a mobile phone number. It starts with +31-6 (or 06 if you live in the Netherlands.) The whole 6 range is reserved for mobile phones here. Phone numbers in and around Amsterdam start with +31-2 with +31-20 used for Amsterdam itself and the other +31-2 numbers for outside Amsterdam but in the same area. (Haarlem, Schiphol airport, Purmerend, etc.) More regional prefixes are listed at http://www.detelefoongids.nl/netnummers.html in case you're interested.
    The +31-84 number is indeed a fax number. It's actually some additional fax service provided by KPN where the phone company will receive all faxes and store them until someone with proper access will download them. My dad has one of those and it's very useful because now he doesn't have to keep a fax machine connected 24/7.

Finally I noticed the email address stevmorris@walla.com and wonder what walla.com actually is. So a visit to http://www.walla.com made that clear too. It's a free email provider, with 3 GB of mailspace. A bit like GMail, I guess.

So we have some pretty wealty organisations here (De Lotto, Honda) and while they can give away ten million Euro yet they can't afford their own email addresses and rely of a free fax service?

I'm not sure but I think this is a scam. Still, there's a 0.00000000000001% chance that it's real. Are you willing to take a chance?

I'm not sure but I think this is a scam. Still, there's a 0.00000000000001% chance that it's real. Are you willing to take a chance?
    Personally, I would say it is positively is a scam. First clue was......it was not even addressed to me, just to my e-mail box. Second clue......I have never entered any contest to win a honda, or any other car, and would not have used this account for it, even if I should have.

edit> I don't know Amsterdam at all. When I was there a couple of times, I very seldom got far from the Canel Street area.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Well, we didn't want to get your hopes up, Moxnix.

Banned
    Originally posted here by moxnix
    Personally, I would say it is positively is a scam. First clue was......it was not even addressed to me, just to my e-mail box. Second clue......I have never entered any contest to win a honda, or any other car, and would not have used this account for it, even if I should have.

edit> I don't know Amsterdam at all. When I was there a couple of times, I very seldom got far from the Canel Street area.
    Well, you can always hope you really win a million Euro's anyway. No fun thinking it's all a scam.

I believe that one or more of those 'Frans' streets are located within the center of Amsterdam. The canal area as you call it. You might have been in one of them even.
    About the Bijlmer... It used to be like a ghetto. Many poor people, often with an ethnic background. Many fron the Nederlandse Antillen and Suriname. Much of it used to be a pretty bad neighbourhood. But more than a decade ago an El Al plane crashed in one of the high buildings in the area and suddenly there was international attention for this area. It has been cleaned up considerably since that accident, so I heard. The Bijlmerplein shopping center is actually quite nice. Just don't be there after closing hours because there are still some bad elements there.

I'm not saying that the plane accident cleaned the area up, btw. But they did decide to take down many of the high flats in the area afterwards and replaced them with nicer, lower houses. It's just that afterwards there was suddenly a lot of attention for this area...

I don't know Amsterdam at all. When I was there a couple of times, I very seldom got far from the Canel Street area.
    Out window shopping were we dear chap did you at least make it to the Hard Rock Cafe??

Oh I know who Ajax are, I am surprised you said soccer though, shouldn't it be football, (gooners fan)
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

dalek

Oh I know who Ajax are, I am surprised you said soccer though, shouldn't it be football, (gooners fan)
    No, "football" is too generic. We have "soccer", "Rugby football", "Gaelic football", and "American football".............the Australians also have their own "football"

"gooners fan"................so was Osama bin Laden when he was at university in London

so was Osama bin Laden when he was at university in London
    Gee you guys actually let him attend your prestigious university, must be some proud eh!

Soccer/football, my mistake? http://www.elsporto.co.uk/nonlea/bridling.shtml sort of like field hockey and real hockey, so tell me what does the FC stand for on most of the clubs over there. (fish & chips)
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Originally posted here by dalek
    Out window shopping were we dear chap did you at least make it to the Hard Rock Cafe??
    The Hard Rock Cafe wasn't even dreamed about when I was there. The first Hard Rock is less than 10-15 years old (guessing there) and I was there in the late 60's. A few years difference.
    Author Unknown