Thread: Microsoft and AOL Giving Away Millions?!

Microsoft and AOL Giving Away Millions?!

I got this email forwarded to me:
    This was on the 9:00 o'clock news the other night so I'm assuming it works

THIS TOOK TWO PAGES OF THE TUESDAY USA TODAY - IT IS FOR REAL

Subject: PLEEEEEEASE READ!!!! it was on the news!

This thing is for real. Rest assured AOL and Intel will follow through with their promises for fear of facing a multimillion-dollar class action suit similar to the one filed by PepsiCo against General Electric not too long ago.

Dear Friends; Please do not take this for a junk letter. Bill Gates sharing his fortune. If you ignore this, You will repent later. Microsoft and AOL are now the largest Internet companies and in an effort to make sure that Internet Explorer remains the most widely used program, Microsoft and AOL are running an e-m ail beta test.

When you forward this e-mail to friends, Microsoft can and will track it ( If you are a Microsoft Windows user) For a two weeks time period.

For every person that you forward this e-mail to, Microsoft will pay you $245.00 For every person that you sent it to that forwards it on, Microsoft will pay you $243.00 and for every third person that receives it, You will be paid $241.00. Within two weeks, Microsoft will contact you for your address and then send you a check.

Regards. Charles S Bailey General Manager Field Operations
    1-800-842-2332 Ext. 1085 or 904-1085 or RNX
    292-1085 Charles_Bailey@csx.com Charles_bailey@csx.com

I thought this was a scam myself, But two weeks after receiving this e-mail and forwarding it on. Microsoft contacted me for my address and withindays, I receive a check for $24,800.00. You need to respond before the beta testing is over. If anyone can affoard this, Bill gates is the man.

It's all marketing expense to him. Please forward this to as many people as possible. You are bound to get at least $10,000.00. We're not going to help them out with their e-mail beta test without getting a little something for our time. My brother's girlfriend got in on this a few months ago. When i went to visit him for the Baylor/UT game. She showed me her check. It was for the sum of $4,324.44 and was stamped "Paid in full"

Like i said before, I know the law, and this is for real.

Intel and AOL are now discussing a merger which would make them the largest Interne! t compan y and in an effort make sure that AOL remains the most widely used program, Intel and AOL are running an e-mail beta test.

When you forward this e-mail to friends, Intel can and will track it( if you are a Microsoft Windows user)for a two week time period.

TRy it; What have you got to lose
    Microsoft is obviously not going to just give away millions for forwarded emails.

But my question is, what kind of scam is this? What could the sender possibly have to gain by sending these?

The only thing it the body of the email were those little animated gif smilies, and the only attachment was the .eml.

Let me know what you think,

BlackHatHunter

Just Another Geek
    It's a hoax... and a rather old one too..

http://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&q=...e+zoeken&meta=

But my question is, what kind of scam is this? What could the sender possibly have to gain by sending these?
    Personal pleasure?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

http://www.trendmicro.com/search/goo...%20gates%20aol

variations on a theme

Edit: Beat me too it AGAIN
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by dinowuff
    Edit: Beat me too it AGAIN
    learn to type faster
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Thanks for the links guys.

Why? Mostly just a mischievious nuisance thing. Most of these old chain emails originated back in the "Good Times" virus days. The point was to see how many mail systems could be brought down with a really good chain email. There was no other purpose. You see them pop up again and again.

Ever been to a football, baseball or soccer game and have the crowd start the wave? Remember the old urban legend that if you got the wave going good, you'd crash the stadium? Same kind of weird, morbid motivations.

Google the 800 number in the hoax letter and check out the 800+ hits it generates.

You mean none of you guys got your check yet? I did....

Hey Hey,

Definately a hoax email.. consider it a joke

Like people said, it's for personal pleasure. Ever get tired of the idiots that forward you everything? Well my roommate and I had, so we decided to get even. We created a list of 20-30 'true' facts and sent it out to everyone that had ever sent us a forward. We even dumped in some mail headers and fake looking forwards so that it looked like it didn't begin with us.. It was sweet sweet pleasure getting an email back that you sent out.. realizing that there were that many stupid people ... the comments were hillarious too 'Man these facts are awesome' or 'I wanna try number 2'

it's funny.

Peace,
    HT

Originally posted here by killerbeesateme
    You mean none of you guys got your check yet? I did....
    Yeah, and the Cubbies will make it to the World Series someday, too.

Unhappy

Yeah, and the Cubbies will make it to the World Series someday, too
    ouch man....
    The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool - Good Ole Bill Shakespeare