Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ATTEMPTING to build a new comp

You mentioned the game cards so I'd say go with this below.
    AMD :
    Board: Fatal1ty AN8-SLI
    CPU: *ClawHammer *San Diego *Venice

With RAM you guys mentioned pairs, I assume you meant speed. But with dual channel you have to run 1st-sl0t 128mb with 128mb 2nd sl0t or 1st-sl0t 256mb with 256mb 2nd sl0t, etc... etc...ect... because 1st-sl0t 512mb with 128mb 2nd sl0t wont give you any.....you need same size and speed to get dual action going.

Ok here is what i have been eyeing so far

Proc: AMD 64 X2 4400
    http://www.nextag.com/serv/main/buye...X2+4400&node=0

Vidcard: SAPPHIRE 100116SR (maybe 2 if it is crossfire set up)
    http://www.nextag.com/SAPPHIRE-10011...RE-PRICES-html

Mem: OCZ DDR 1GB(1024MB)OCZ4001024V3 PC-3200/400MHZ
    http://www.nextag.com/OCZ-DDR-1GB-10...RE-PRICES-html

Mobo: this is where im stumpped. I know it needs to be Crossfire enabled or ready or whatever tis called, and if i am running dual 512mb vid cards then i think it will also need at least 4 PCI E x16 slots in it.

Sound Card: intigrated in the mobo is fine dont need anything spiffy.

HDD: External 320gig Western Digital 7200RPM --already purchased
    Internal Western Digital 74 GB Raptor 10kRPM 8mb cache --not purchased

Cd/dvd/write drives : eh havent looked into specifics just need something that runs here

3 1/2 inch disk drive : ditto

Monitor: have been thinking about getting a sweet HD tv with the whole s-vid in, unless there is a better quality interface i don't know of yet, and just use the tv as a monitor.

Seriously, if you're leaning more at games, don't buy a top price dual core at the expense of other hardware like a sound card. *Toledo's are priced high but that 2MB L2 cache over the *Manchester’s 1MB L2 cache is what you get. (which is what, a few FPS 2-3) A gamer going dual core, I can't think of any games that are taking advantage of that. I'd go single core *San Diego *Venice and use that money on a soundcard, good board or another vidcard. Because if you look at what you're paying for, I don't see any benefits to dual.

Have you ever played a game with a good soundcard, and then played the same game without the card and onboard only? You loose so many other noises and technology when you don't have a card. This is my exp.

http://www.fatal1ty.com/mystory/ fatal1ty is telling you to buy his board so you can camp in corners and p00n n00bs too! Joking,that kid is good.

While i do lean towards games, well one game in my case Final Fantasy XI all the way, i also spend a good deal of time playing with lots of 3d animation apps like 3D studio Max, Animation Master, Bryce, and Poser. The reason i thought the dual would be a good thing is because i tend to have one project rendering in one app while i am doing something else in another of those apps. if you still think that the dual core would just be too much at this time then better for me since they are a bit on the pricey side as of yet.

As for the sound card thing i have a program that sends out surround sound quality sound, well close to it, over the normal stereo output jack on the back of my comp, and i then have that hooked up to a 5.1 surround sound system/dvd player thingy so luckily i do get all those little ambient sounds most people miss.

*Toledo's are priced high but that 2MB L2 cache over the *Manchester’s 1MB L2 cache is what you get. . . . . I'd go single core *San Diego *Venice . . . .

Umm could you explain what this means? what are San Diego and Venice, are they brands?

Those are the names of the chips.
    Example: From newegg: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3200BIBOX - Retail

Intel quit going the high clocks route because that's not what counts as you can see from AMD. Clocks only take you so far in certain areas. It probably was a selling point to the masses like this: 300gig HDD!.....some people think that means it will be faster than a PC with a 20gig HDD. They think it makes the PC "go faster"!

Go here and choose the chip you want and run it against another chip. Choose DoomIII PCmark etc... You'll see the names their like,*ClawHammer *San Diego *Venice *Northwood etc....ect....
    http://www23.tomshardware.com/

Read this and you'll understand the importance of cache:
    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/cache.htm

when i get the chance i will check out those sites. What about the dual core proc, even with my tendency to use multiple high resources using programs at the same time would you still suggest going with a high(er) end single instead of a dual?

AFLAAACKKK!!
    The programs your multi tasking with probably won't take advantage of the dual cores anyway... So it shouldn't matter as of now... Same concept goes with PCIE and 64 bit processors...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Originally posted here by JewishIntent
    w What about the dual core proc, even with my tendency to use multiple high resources using programs at the same time would you still suggest going with a high(er) end single instead of a dual?
    That's a choice you're going to have to make. I'm making that choice too. I've decide both AMD single, Conroe Dual. If you're running bat files like the ones I do.

Code:
    @echo off
    @cd\ & cls
    @set progs="C:\Program Files\
    @start "" %progs%Prime95\Prime95.exe" 
    @start "" %progs%Ada\AdaLang.exe" 
    @start "" %progs%Pi\pi.exe" 
    @start "" %progs%PCMark\PCMark\PCM.exe" 
    @start "" %progs%Abit Setup\Abitdll.exe" 
    @start "" %progs%Tempgui\Abit-tech.exe" 
    @start "" %progs%RNI\ATF.exe"
    @start "" %progs%AudioLab\JamLabDrivers.exe"
    @start cmd 
    @cls & @exit
    Dual will cut that like butter. But how often do I do that, is it worth the money?