Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Secret Service knows you printed that...

Banned
    And I thought I spoiled the party... but then there's catch

I know about this for about 8 years that they were traceable since i use to work for a litigation company we use the Canon clc 2400 color copier which most large color copyier machines use dry ink
    I had to google 'jfgi' to see what it meant. The irony is overwhelming.

Dudes and dudettes, the issue in the Slashdot article wasn't that this thing is new Everyone seems to skim through posts...

The EFF has managed to break the meaning of what that stuff actually is: date and serial number. That is the news

cheers!
    /\\

Banned
    Wow, the EFF did something that others have done before them!!

Again back about 15 years ago MIT's technology Review carried this article with information about how different printers operated in different ways when trying to print things that looked like money or checks. The article also covered photocopiers. You could use the information provided to determine your own printer's information, which when coupled with brand databases could likely be tracked to a particular store and from there to a particular credit card.

Nothing in this article is new, in fact slashdot is frequently many years behind the times when covering "News". For new developments pick up something like technology review (which is really dumbed down... I mean I was what? 13-15 when that article wet to press?) or join your favorite ACM SIG. In 10-15 years you yourself can be saying... "oh yeah, I remember reading about that."

cheers,

catch

Watch the history channel, Secret service from 1865 to present. You'll see the technique there. Reruns

edit**** What, you've never seen a crackhead hold up the line in a metro with a waxy bill?

Originally posted here by catch
    I remember hearing about this almost 15 years ago in Technology Review.

I guess it must have been a slow privacy news day.

cheers,

catch
    OH YEAH? Well, I knew about this just after Johannes Gutenberg invented the printing press -- I noticed little pips on the letter blocks! I was just testing you all.
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Hehe, yes, old news, but it seems to be resurfacing all of a sudden...

http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=912
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

What, you've never seen a crackhead hold up the line in a metro with a waxy bill
    waxy paper jams the machine
    I had to google 'jfgi' to see what it meant. The irony is overwhelming.

I might be able to add a couple of slightly different angles to this story.

catch is absolutely correct in that this is very old. There was a lot of publicity about it over here around 10 years ago.............which is when the equipment became relatively common. A law enforcement mate of mine told me that this was a quite deliberate FUD campaign to discourage "amateurs" and office burglaries.

Forgers don't go and buy stuff from regular stores and pay with their own credit cards. They go for stolen or second user stuff.

The fact that there was a timestamp and serial number would also allow easy profiling of any forging using this equipment.

This is not a US government conspiracy. It was an international effort, and our Bank of England was involved. This is the other side of the coin, in that currency designs were changed in several European countries at least, to make it more difficult for this equipment to make a plausible copy of the real thing.

All this was on TV and in the national newspapers at the time.