Thread: Terminal Server

Terminal Server

Hello i have a Terminal Server, that was programed to host 10 Terminal access, but duo Microsoft contract almost to die, and because they are very expensive, i would like to know how mutch does this server hold.

Here is the server configuration:

2 Processor XEON 3.2 2mb Cache
    4Gb DDR
    4 ULTRA SCSI 72Gb RAID5
    1 NIC 1Gb
    1 TAPE DAT 72Gb

This server is the Domain, and he is also the file server. Im think of installing the Front Office and Back Office Hotel Aplications, and release these server up to 21 users.

All of the network works at 1Gb. This may cause some slow access, because of all the people accessing the server at the same time, so i was thinking also, to install one more 1Gb NIC on the Terminal server and other 1Gb NIC on the DataBase server (Running the Hotel DataBase, Oracle), and with a crossover cable plug them directly.
    So with this, all the Terminal User would be using the Second NIC that is directly connected to the DataBase server, not passing by the switched network and the rest of the users, that don't have access to Terminal server, would be using the 1st NIC on the DataBase server, these users would connect trought the switched network.

But i would like an opion, or even a better ideia.

All the users that would connect trought terminal server, would be using Linux.
    The rest Windows.

Thanks

I would probalbymake the domain controller a speeratre box. The deicated gig connection to the DB is a good idea, you could also do this at teh switch level with a virtual network and subnetting. What we found with terminal server is that its not the power of the porcesors butthe number...ie you would eb better off wit ha 4way or 8 way box with slightly lesser processors then wit ha beefy 2 way box.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

About how many users do you have on at any given time (just throw an average at me)?

Definitely want another box to be the domain controller.

Also, keep in mind that some background programs will run (unnecesiarily) multiple times simultaneously for multiple users (we had this problem with antivirus on ours, had to figure out how to tweak it so only one instance was running at a time). Tha will affect your speed immensely.

I can't have another Domain Box.

I have 48 Stations + 8 Servers Including the Domain

But i guess that 21 users is going to be to much, i guess this is going to overload the Server.

But i think im going to run a test, make most of everyone to use Remote Desktop to the terminal server, and check how much does the server holds.

Atention, the 48 Stations don't work at the same time. Some of this stations are only operating when most of the people has gone home
    i would be 35 stations working most of the time.

yuris: You realy need to get a few hundred to drop on a domain controll, that will off load a lot of the crap. IT realy dosn't need to be a top of the line box, a good server could be had for around 200 for what it needs to do. The server you listed should work with 21 concurant users depending on what thye all run at once...if it can take more processors it would be a good idea.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Im running the terminal server, but i need to configure and make the default for all users that is going to use this service.

I would like that every user that connects to the Terminal server, only but only have access to the Icons that i will put on there desktop, and the folder where the program is.

I would like to take there ability to navigate in the server, i want to cut there access to the local disks, remove "run"; "find"..etc from the "Start Menu"

Is there a how to, ebook or something that i could read and learn how to do that?

thanks