Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This one is for you HTRegz...

This one is for you HTRegz...

TORONTO -- Ask any Canadian to define the typical Canuck and among the descriptions proffered is sure to be: "We're not like Americans."

After all, Americans are brash, arrogant and aggressive. We Canadians, on the other hand, are polite, modest and somewhat introverted.

We're as different from our neighbours to the south as, well, beavers are from bald eagles.

Aren't we?

Not according to a study of national personalities, which found that this time-honoured perception of our oh-so-unique Canadian psyche -- and other cultures' stereotypes of themselves -- are in fact just so much hooey.
    Read the full article here on Canada.com:

http://www.canada.com/national/story...7-e35623a8121a
    There are only two kinds of programming languages: those people always bitch about and those nobody uses.

Ya know I can agree with the overall assessment if it was only taken in the what everyone in Canada thinks Torontonians think is the centre of the Universe "Ontario", because I believe if they had of really sat down with a bunch of Newfies and Capers here on the East Coast (East of Toronto), they would have found out that, we Maritimers are in no way related to those from the centre of the Universe,(with the exception of course of the very large Newfie and Caper communities in Teronah)so should be excluded from any of these lofty (probably expensive ) studies

"The views that persons in Vancouver have about Canadians are very similar to the views that Nova Scotians have about Canadians,"
    notice they left out Toronto aka Ontario, mind you I am not blind to the fact that with almost 9 Mill people in one Province, (out of what 40 Million countrywide) how easy it would be to forget the rest of Canada.
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

They forgot mush heads can't drive for **** when they hit the Michigan border. (HT likes me, I can say that, hell I've earned it with the number of times I've been cut off, almost rear ended, and all around trying to be a ping pong ball on the free way to dodge them when they drive)... except HT though, he's never hit anything when he comes to my town.

Is that before or after we take the Ontario plates off of our cars, is it safe to take the I95 nowadays, back when I used to travel that road, the favorite thing was bowling balls from the catwalks. Course that was also back when you drove through Detroit doing 90 and didn't stop for no-one.

A Texan, a Canadian and a Guy from Michigan
    A Texan, a Canadian, and a guy from Michigan are out riding horses. The Texan pulls out an expensive bottle of whiskey, takes a shot, then another, and suddenly throws the bottle in the air, pulls out his gun and shoots the bottle in mid air. The Canadian looks at him and says, "What are you doing?! That was a perfectly good bottle of whiskey!" The Texan says, "In Texas, there's plenty of whiskey and bottles are cheap."
    A while later, not wanting to be outdone, the Canadian pulls out a bottle of champagne, takes a few sips, throws the bottle in the air, pulls out his gun and shoots it. The guy from Michigan can't believe this and says, "What did you do that for? That was an expensive bottle of Champagne!"
    The Canadian says "In Canada there's plenty of Champagne and bottles are cheap."
    So a while later the guy from Michigan pulls out a bottle of beer. He opens it, takes a sip, takes another sip, and then chugs the rest. He then puts the bottle back in his saddlebag, pulls out his gun, turns around and shoots the Canadian.
    The Texan, shocked, says, "Why did you do that?"
    The guy from Michigan says, "Well, in Michigan, we have plenty of Canadians, but bottles are worth a dime."
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

The base article for the article posted above was posted in Science magazine (Science, Vol 310, Issue 5745, 96-100 , 7 October 2005): http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/conten...on_type_101001

A very kind person reposted it on another forum site for those of us who aren't subscribers:
    http://www.muslimwakeup.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=17701&

The Science paper was authored by 87 researchers who studied 49 cultures across 48 countries on six continents. (Switzerland was split into the French Swiss and the German Swiss, because of historical differences between the two cultures.)

The project was headed by Professor Robert R. McCrae from the National Institute of Health in the USA.

Dr Shakespeare-Finch said the research team based its studies on five identified personality traits that were global - to varying degrees.

"Even though these dimensions of personality are universal, the perceptions of stereotypes we hold about national character are at best exaggerations and at worst completely inaccurate."
    Very interesting read...
    There are only two kinds of programming languages: those people always bitch about and those nobody uses.

Heh heh heh
    The guy from Michigan says, "Well, in Michigan, we have plenty of Canadians, but bottles are worth a dime."
    ......well (as far as HT is concerned) you have sure pegged the Michigan guy right.
    (OF COURSE I think that it has pegged USers and canucks in the same plane as the Michigan guy, not a bit better....either one of them.)
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    This is kinda off topic but im from Texas and going to Canada for the first time in dec. to visit a friend for 2 weeks. any suggestions besides bring warm clothes? lol
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Originally posted here by The Texan
    This is kinda off topic but im from Texas and going to Canada for the first time in dec. to visit a friend for 2 weeks. any suggestions besides bring warm clothes? lol
    Learn to drink strong beer.

Cheers:
    DjM

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    any suggestions besides bring warm clothes? lol
    You do know that Canada is the 2nd largest nation in the world right? So it might help to narrow down WHERE in Canada you're going since some areas will be colder than others (Vancouver tends to be down right mild with little to no snow while Winnipeg will freeze the snot in your nose by mid-November).

And I saw that report (the one this thread was started on). Was rather surprised and somewhat curious as to how they came to this conclusion. I do know that I find Westerners (particularly Albertans) to be more "American" (conservative and such) while West Coasters (BC) tend to fit a little more closely with Californians (must be all that weed). East coast gets as laid back as possible while Quebec whines about anything in between. The Prairie provinces just eke things out and remain quiet about it all while Ontario bitches about transfers and not getting respect it deserves (it's kinda the Roger Dangerfield province). Toronto is just bizarre and self-centered in many respects while Ottawa is the ultimate fishbowl (who shuts a city down at 4:30pm!??!!)

But that's just this Acadian Canuck's view of things..

Learn to drink strong beer.
    Beer!?!? I thought that they served flavoured water in the US. Isn't that what it is?!
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    Im going to moosejaw,sask. dec 27th thru jan 10th... and i have only seen actual snow with no mud in it once in my life lol. and i like strong beer
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted