What is it with all of this assuming (Ass U Me), no professional should assume anything, there are procedures put in place, especially in a Hospital Enviroment (it's called PYB, Protect Your Butt).

First of all, why a Dr would be concerning himself with a computer when he has trained staff (Nurses) to do it for him, prior to looking at the patient is beyond me.(most info is fed to the Dr by Nurses)

If the Hospital in question has all of it's i's dotted and it's t's crossed, there will be SOP's for this particular scenario (Standard Operating Procedures).

So if the patients records are unavailable or do not exist and the patient is not wearing a Med Alert or is incoherent, then I am pretty damn sure there is a back up plan for all eventualities. Doctors are not that lame that,because the information was not available they would administer any type of drug on a whim or prayer, keeping their fingers crossed that the drug will be okay

Depending on the type of injuries sustained,or other problems (Heart related) this will determine the course of action by the Medical Staff, if it is heart related and is life threatening then I am sure that with even the possibility that this patient has "unknown" allergies to certain meds that it is taken into consideration when applying life saving medicines, so much so that they will probably do the err on the side of caution routine which may be to get the patient on life support and run some tests if they can before they administer the heavy drugs.

As to obvious physical injuries, the extent of the injury will determine the proper procedures, required also.

In other words, I would say the Medical staff would not be culpable, for the patients demise due to insufficent information available or provided.

It would be placed on the Administrators responsible for the care of patient records, and if the IT staff were negligent in ensuring the security of very highly confidential material, then (Sh*t rolls downhill).