Windows 2000 Problems

Thread: Windows 2000 Problems

Exclamation Windows 2000 Problems

I have an older box which serves are a misc use box, and a few nights ago I re-installed windows 2000 pro. After I reinstalled it, I started editing my 'Local Security Policy' and then turned off several services that weren't needed. Internet was down so I didn't update the box via windows update yet, but the problems I'm having now are very annoying. When I try to create files in C:\, and in some subdirs. I get this message:

"Unable to create the folder 'New Folder'
    Access is denied."

Like I said, it doesn't do this with all folders such as 'Program Files'.
    I decided since it was a new install, and maybe I messed up one of the security policys that
    I would just re-install, but that didn't work. When I put in the Win2k cd(Install cd from inside windows, not bootable) I entered my cdkey, and when I clicked next, and said it couldn't write or locate c:\winnt.sif, and closed the installer. I then proceeded to import security policys from the templates folder, which again, didn't fix my problem. Any suggestions on how to fix this would be great. Thanks.

You have probably messed up a setting or maybe even a few settings, as this could be pretty much anything and it is impossible for you to go back a change everything it was you altered, you may be best to do a high level format first and then re-install.

It would be the easiest option by far and as you have only just installed it there probably wont be much data you need to backup?
    Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system.

http://tazforum.**********.com/