IT pilot fish is installing a new Web-based application on a server, and he follows his usual methodical procedure.

"I first install the Web server, taking great care to test and make sure the Web system is working before I begin installing the application," says fish.

"The application was designed for installation by nontechie types, and I'm impressed with the nice, simple menu I am presented within upon starting the installer:

"1: Install user interface and Web server.

"2: Install user interface (Web server installed separately)."

Fish chooses Option 2. Almost instantly a screen pops up informing him that installation is complete. Wow, that was fast, he thinks.

But when he looks for the user interface files, he finds nothing.

OK, he must have done something wrong. He reruns the installation script. Same menu. Same choices. Same ... nothing.

For two hours, fish checks and rechecks everything. Finally he calls the vendor support line.

"Not a problem," support tech says when fish explains the problem. "Let's step through the installation."

But when fish gets to the installation menu, tech instructs him to choose Option 1. No, says fish, I've already installed the Web server. I need Option 2.

"Oh," says tech. "Hmm. That option doesn't do anything. We've never had someone actually install the Web server themselves before."

Sighs fish, "The vendor had to spend the next several days manually copying files and scripts into the right locations on the Web server to get everything to work. And the menu option went away on the next version of the installer."57640