Thread: Say Bye-Bye Kerio Firewall

Say Bye-Bye Kerio Firewall

In the face of competition from security suite vendors, Kerio Technologies will pull the plug on its popular desktop firewall product at the end of this year.

Kerio will stop offering its Kerio Personal Firewall product as of Dec. 31 but will continue to support existing customers until the end of next year, said James Gudeli, vice president of strategic business relations at the Santa Clara, Calif., company.

The Kerio Personal Firewall is available in a free and paid version, which for $45 adds such features as intrusion detection, remote administration and Web filtering. The software has been downloaded more than 2 million times since it became available in March 2002, the company said.

Kerio is pulling out of the desktop firewall space because it can't compete with security suites that bundle a firewall with antivirus and spyware-fighting software, the company said. Such products are sold by companies including Symantec, McAfee, Trend Micro and Zone Labs.

"Without our own antivirus or anti-spyware products, it is very difficult to compete against the bundled products of other providers," Gudeli said. "Everybody expects their security software to do everything. We specialize in firewall security. We can't make this product successful given the new technology we would have to develop or acquire."
    http://news.com.com/Kerio%20to%20scr...3250&subj=news
    Kerio to scrap desktop firewall | CNET News.com

Nooooo.. Damn, I've used Kerio before (thought it made a fairly good free software firewall) and loved it's features and settings. Blah....
    Space For Rent.. =]

Ahh man, that sucks - I've installed and configured Kerio PF on several of my friend's PC's that aren't running behind routers and NAT devices in their homes...
    - Maverick

Originally posted here by Maverick811
    Ahh man, that sucks - I've installed and configured Kerio PF on several of my friend's PC's that aren't running behind routers and NAT devices in their homes...
    Which means come next year you'll have to configure something else right?

I guess this is a classic example of survival of the fittest in the tech world. Sad maybe, but it's natural.
    /\\

Kwiep
    agh fack, kerio was actually my favorite amongst the free personal firewalls for windows

I guess this is a classic example of survival of the fittest in the tech world. Sad maybe, but it's natural.
    that would be survival of the richest... put bill gates in the jungle and he'll die before he gets thirsty
    Double Dutch

Originally posted here by neel
    agh fack, kerio was actually my favorite amongst the free personal firewalls for windows

that would be survival of the richest... put bill gates in the jungle and he'll die before he gets thirsty
    Well that might be true, but surviving in the tech world entails different aspects than survival in the real world. Money is a factor in this case, that's true, but if the company had the ability to develop the rest of the things in-house it would have probably been cheaper than having to acquire those technologies.
    /\\

it`s migth be very ggod !!!

Those folks forgot their humble beginnings in 2003 when the Tiny Firewall Development Team left/departed and became Kerio. So now they are abandoning the ship they sailed in on. Traitors! Away with the pond scum then!
    Connection refused, try again later.

Well I use Zone Alarm Pro and apart from blocking my browsers occassionally,
    I feel quite safe just knowing that it's there.

Originally posted here by ingodwetrust
    Well I use Zone Alarm Pro and apart from blocking my browsers occassionally,
    I feel quite safe just knowing that it's there.
    Me, I couldn't feel safe standing behind a paper tiger. All my confidence is at the OS level.