Thread: Shady Sites Selling Cell Phone Records

Shady Sites Selling Cell Phone Records

Social engineering so damn easy they've turned it into a business. Scary.

Web sites such as one called, "Locate Cell," will sell the last 100 hundred phone numbers you've dialed to anyone who knows your phone number, according to Ruth to the Rescue.

Ruth Spencer paid the $110 fee and inputted her own phone number on Locate Cell's Web site, and sure enough, she received an e-mail with the results.

Ruth found that the report did, in fact, contain the last 100 numbers that she had called, which means anyone could have access to this information, including jealous exes, employers, or even a criminal trying to steal your identity.

But how do these Web sites get a hold of your private records? Ruth found that they use two methods, the first of which is called pre-texting.

Pre-texting means that someone at the Web site calls your wireless company and pretends to be you, according to Ruth to the Rescue.

Another way in which the information can be obtained is through a dishonest employee working for a wireless service provider, who could sell the information to those who desire it.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/money/5127640/detail.html

Bullshit IMHO..Most companies I've seen dont willingly part with customer information,let alone call records.(From what I knew,they made you fill out a form with personal details and then either had you come over or post it to your address).So sites like these cant guarantee results.It'd be amusing though to have a customer sue the site..with 'the federal courts not being sure' as to the legality of the site,I wonder how it'd turn out.Amusing