Thread: Super Firefox...or just a lotta Flock?

Super Firefox...or just a lotta Flock?

A BROWSER based on the open source browser Firefox, called Flock, has just been released and claims to give a taste of what life would be like under Web 2.

The browser was developed in California by a small team spearheaded by Bart Decrem, who is known for his failed attempts in the Linux field and being a big cheese in the Mozzarella Foundation.

Flock claims to integrate next-generation Web technologies such as RSS content feeds, blogs and bookmark and photo sharing.

The preview, or V0.5, can do a lot of things that Fireferret can’t. It has a lot of automated controls and there is no need to move your favourite sites into folders to manage and manage them. You can also add tags to favorites at the touch of a button.

Flock comes with a built in open source search engine, called Clucene. When you visit a webpage indexes all the content on that page so you can find it later. It can be wiped when you are finished so that you still have some privacy. You can have multiple favorites toolbars and switch between them.

One of the features is it has its own blog editor that works with WordPress, Movable Type and Typepad and Blogger. It also makes it easier to put pictures into a blog by dragging and dropping them into the post. There is even a scrapbook to store web content that you want to blog about later.
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27115
    Super 'Firefox' previewed

download...

http://www.flock.com/developer/
    Flock

more info...

http://feeds.flock.com/
    Flock Radio - The latest fresh-squeezed feeds from the folks bringin' you Flock.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Gawd.. for a minute there I thought it was a Porky's III joke..

So sayeth the Shepard!! So sayeth the flock!!

Now get the Flock out of her!!
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I just tried it, opens new windows faster than FF on my PC. Looks good (so does FF with skins)...it's not bad for version 0.5, they need to make extensions like adblock and mouse gestures. I have to leave now but i'll see/test it out later again.

Tx Eg.
    O.G at A.O

Hi CopyRight,

Here's CNET's take on this...let me know what you think...

A small team of developers in California on Friday launched a cutting-edge Firefox-based Web browser dubbed Flock, which integrates next-generation Web technologies such as RSS content feeds, blogs and bookmark and photo sharing.

The team of developers was spearheaded by Bart Decrem, who is well known in the open-source community due to his involvement in the Mozilla Foundation and his ill-fated start-up Eazel, which from 1999 until its demise in 2001 aimed to bring greater usability features to the Linux desktop.

"Indeed the time is upon us," wrote Flock co-founder Geoffrey Arone on his blog shortly before the release. "We are gearing up to allow public, unrestricted downloads of the Flock browser within the next couple of hours."

"Please note that this is a developer preview and that there are still plenty of bugs, many of which we are aware of."
    Flocking to new features
    The browser's new features are based on new Web technologies fast attracting fans in the online community--part of a movement that has come to be known as Web 2.0.

For example, the traditional Web browser bookmarks menu has been replaced in favor of close integration with del.icio.us, an online service that allows bookmarks to be stored and shared with other users.

The Flock team has taken note of the Internet community's rapidly growing obsession with both blogs and the Really Simple Syndication (RSS) standard that makes it possible to speedily know when a blog has been updated.

Flock includes a built-in RSS reader, which allows a user to read all of their favorite blogs in one place, without the need to separately navigate to each one. Various Web sites and software programs already provide this functionality, but Flock is one of the first to integrate it into a Web browser.

The browser also facilitates blogging by the user with a "Create a blog post" button located in the main navigation bar. The button launches a sophisticated blogging tool that integrates on a drag-and-drop level with Flickr, a popular online photo management and sharing service recently acquired by Yahoo.
    http://news.com.com/New%20browser%20...5922&subj=news
    New browser gives taste of Web 2.0 | CNET News.com

Eg

I don't know what you guys think but i think these guys are up to something, seems promising enough to be better than IE...better than FF, maybe in their next release since it's still buggy.
    O.G at A.O

********** |ceWriterguy
    aaaaah flock it. I'm sticking with FireFox.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Using it right now, and to be honest, it doesn't look any differrent then FF course I haven't tried the RSS feeds,I use Thunderbird (no virus) for that.

It does appear to open pages a tad bit faster, but then Firefox used to do that when it was a little slimmer,
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

So it wont be long and we will be telling users to get Flocked..
    And people will be complaining of problems with their Flocking Browser.
    Get with the Flock
    Oh heck Ive been Flocked

Oh Flock it!! Iceman beat me to it..
    Talk about flocking it to death..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

********** |ceWriterguy
    man Undies, you must be really flocked up this evening.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!