routing between vlans

Thread: routing between vlans

routing between vlans

I remember seeing a good post here once about routing between vlans and I can't seem to find it. I have a cisco catalyst 3500 series switch and a cisco 2651xm router. I have the switch set up into 3 different vlans. The router is connected to vlan1. I am wanting to route IP traffice between the 3 different vlans either by using the router or if there is a way to do it in the IOS of the switch, that would be fine also. Thanks for any help.

You can`t put router in vlan 1, you need to create trunk (switchport mode trunk) for the switch port where the router is.Than you need to create subinterfaces on router each subinterface is to be in one of 3 vlans you want to be routed, put ip addresses on subinterfaces, use dot1q encapsulation and thats it... This is just general explanation, use "?" on router and you should make it
    Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Thank you very much, that worked like a charm. Only I used ISL instead of the dot1q. I only have cisco equipment and I figured since that was a cisco proprietary protocol, it would work better w/ cisco equipment.

ISL is not better... ISL causes more overhead, because it totaly encapsulates the frames. So, technically DOT1Q is better and more used. ISL doesn't know a "native vlan" while DOT1Q does...