I'd like to spy on you, please pay me 7 billion dollars so I can :D

Thread: I'd like to spy on you, please pay me 7 billion dollars so I can :D

T̙͓̞̣̯ͦͭͅͅȂͧͭͧ̏̈͏̖̖Z̿ ͆̎̄

I'd like to spy on you, please pay me 7 billion dollars so I can :D

Big Brother isn't just watching...he wants you to pay for it too...

Universities balk at computer security rules
    By Sam Dillon and Stephen Labaton The New York Times

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 23, 2005
    NEW YORK The U.S. government, vastly extending the reach of an 11-year-old law, is requiring hundreds of universities, online communications companies and cities to overhaul their Internet computer networks to make it easier for law enforcement authorities to monitor e-mail and other online communications.

The action, which the government says is intended to help catch terrorists and other criminals, has unleashed protests and the threat of lawsuits from universities, which argue that it will cost them at least $7 billion while doing little to apprehend lawbreakers.

Because the government would have to win court orders before beginning surveillance, the universities are not raising civil liberties issues.

The order, issued by the Federal Communications Commission in August, and first published in the Federal Register, the official publication of rules and notices from U.S. government agencies, last week, extends the provisions of a 1994 wiretap law not only to universities, but also to libraries, airports providing wireless service, commercial Internet access providers and municipalities that provide Internet access to residents.

So far, however, universities have been most vocal in their opposition. "It seems like overkill to make all these institutions spend this huge amount of money for a just-in-case kind of scenario," said Larry Conrad, chief information officer at Florida State University.

The 1994 law, the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act, requires telephone carriers to engineer their switching systems at their own cost so that federal agents can obtain easy surveillance access. The order requires that organizations like universities providing Internet access also comply with the law by spring 2007.

The Justice Department requested the order last year, saying that technologies like telephone service over the Internet were endangering law enforcement officers' ability to conduct wiretaps.

Justice Department officials, who declined to comment for this article, said in their written comments filed with the commission that the new requirements were necessary to keep the 1994 law "viable in the face of the monumental shift of the telecommunications industry" and to enable law enforcement to "accomplish its mission in the face of rapidly advancing technology."

Lawyers for the American Council on Education, the largest U.S. association of universities and colleges, are preparing to appeal, Terry Hartle, a senior vice president of the council, said Friday.

The universities do not question the government's right to monitor terrorism or criminal suspects on college campuses, Hartle said, only the rapid timetable for compliance and high cost.

Technology experts retained by the schools estimated that it could cost universities at least $7 billion just to buy the Internet switches and routers necessary for compliance. That figure does not include installation or the costs of hiring and training staff to oversee the circuitry 24 hours a day as the law requires.
    http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/10/...s/networks.php
    Universities balk at computer security rules - Americas - International Herald Tribune

Banned
    I posted about this a few weeks ago. Here is the link to the law (CALEA):

http://www.askcalea.net/fccregs.html

What it will cost may or may not be $7 Billion. I suspect the price has been grossly inflated specifically for media impact. Most network systems only require minimal modification to comply with the requirements (which have yet to be published, BTW, and the compliance specifications cost each agency $350 per copy when they become available). Most of the adjustment and cost will be in personnel and training.

EDUCAUSE is the organization representing education to the DoJ in an attempt to modify the requirements and exempt education. However, states are included as requiring compliance. The cost for most states to comply with the regulations will be higher than educational institutions.

The EFF and other organizations are planning challenges to the constitutionality of the rule change. That can't come soon enough for me.

This is an abreviated version of the executive brief. My executive brief was two pages. The background document was 11 pages.

Further research on the wiretap law--there has been a public reporting requirement since 1996--shows that there has been exactly one warrant issued under Title III for a wiretap in 2001 in Washington State. This is the only case in our state since the inception of the wiretap law in 1994. It was for a tap on a private phone in Stevens County (far northeast of state) and two conversations were recorded.

No educational institutions were involved, no network sniffing, nothing.

All this capability and access is being imposed across the board for three states where there are constant Title III requests. But we are all going to have to pay and go through the pain and suffering to make our networks available on the off chance that sometime in the next ten years law enforcement will get a Title III warrant to tap a phone on Billy Bob's home at the edge of some wheat field during the investigation of anti-government activities.

T̙͓̞̣̯ͦͭͅͅȂͧͭͧ̏̈͏̖̖Z̿ ͆̎̄
    Hi rapier57,

But we are all going to have to pay and go through the pain and suffering to make our networks available on the off chance that sometime in the next ten years law enforcement will get a Title III warrant to tap a phone on Billy Bob's home at the edge of some wheat field during the investigation of anti-government activities.
    Exactly my point...it's getting ridiculous to say the least...either paranoia is turning into hysteria or there's a few people looking for new ways, and new ways from old ways, to justify their employment...or both.

Time to find an island

Eg