Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would this Work

Would this Work

Hi all,

Ok im trying to access my home computer which is running RealVNC server, from my computer in College which is behind a proxy, thus i cant connect to my computer at home.

I was thinking if i set up Bouncer on my box in college as follows:

bouncer.exe --bind 127.0.0.1 --port 9999 --destination MyHomePC:443 --tunnel CollegeProxy:8080

(My college proxy allows HTTP, HTTPS, SSH)

Then have my RealVNC server at home listening on Port:443

I should be able to connect to my home computer by typing this in the RealVNC viewer dialog box on my College box: 127.0.0.1:9999 and then just connect?

Im quite new to this, so im sure ive probably got it wrong, but i would be grateful for any advice or alternative suggestions you can give me!

I wont be in college for a while to try it out so i just want to see if anyone knows if it would work?

Thanks

DrGonzo

Please just ask yourself "why should I want to connect to my home computer?"

Hey, you are paying for the power, the line.....etc...........? AND leaving it there as a great big advert for attack?

Why would you want to do that?

AOs Resident Troll
    Is this "your" machine...or a college machine?

Your not trying to circumvent an existing policy put in place to keep the colleges network secure....or something like that??

Did you ask your system\network admin..???
    I am sure they are the ones who can help you out

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Thanks for you replies.

Im trying to access my home PC from my College LAN.

To the other question, yes i do have permission to do this, i am studying for my Network+ and Security+ exams in which we have our own seperate network connected to the net to experiment with to do what we want, to a certain extent abviously.

And basically im trying to figure it out as the knowledge of how to do such a thing may be useful somewhere down the line, that is why i came here to get some help.

Sure i could be wide open for attack, but the VNC server has a pretty hefty password which i change regularly and it is only on a few hours a day when im away.

DrGonzo

AOs Resident Troll
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/star...r.exe-634.html

This is an undesirable program.

http://www.realvnc.com/documentation.html

What OS are we talking about??

What errors do you get when you try and connect???

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Originally posted here by Nasty Vermin
    Or better yet... why not just run ssh? Boom - Little or no effort needed.
    Depending on the home OS (likely WinXP home or pro) and the classroom OS, the poster probably wants more than just a command line interface.

And, since doctorgonzo is behind a proxy, I suspect there are still network restrictions in place that may affect his/her ability to make that live connection. What guarantees does the network admins at the school have that doctorgonzo's home system is clean enough to have that kind of connection to the internal network? With the nature of doctorgonzo's other post(s), I'd be on the side that blocks that kind of access (for fear that the "infections" he/she can't seem to rid the home system of would crawl across to my systems).

As for the rest of your post, nasty, that was uncalled for.

Hi

Well i havent tried my idea out yet as i have not had access to my lab in college yet, it was just an idea i forumlated while searching around the web. So i dont have an errors yet I just wanted to know if anyone had similar experience doing it this way.

My college box is Win Xp and my home box is also Win Xp.

Nasty Vermin:
    As for SSH, can you explain or point me to some tutorials for connecting to VNC through SSH?

Also i did not know bouncer was spyware, is this just a modified version that has spyware bundled with it or is there a legitimate bouncer app that doesnt have spyware?

Thanks

DrGonzo

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by doctorgonzo
    Nasty Vermin:
    As for SSH, can you explain or point me to some tutorials for connecting to VNC through SSH?
    Look for tunneling.. ssh -L 8500:127.0.0.1:5800 me@myhomeip

-L sets up a ssh tunnel. It'll open port 8500 on localhost and tunnels it to myhomeip. Once there it'll connect to 127.0.0.1:5800 (the hostort where vnc is running).

You should then be able to connect the vnc client on localhost:8500 and have it automagicly tunneled to myhomeip.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

We do you need bouncer or ssh at all?

here are some links for useign ssh with vnc if that is the way you want to go
    http://digg.com/security/Using_VNC_SSH
    http://www.shebeen.com/vnc_ssh/#table3
    http://www.ltsp.org/contrib/vnc.html

What client are you useing to connect to the vnc server, you should be able to point the client at the proper port that you have the vnc server pointed at with out ssh or bouncer in the way?
    This should be the command line to do it
    vncviewer serverIP:port-number-to-use

Or a better option would be to use RDP as opposed to VNC, its a bit better (faster and more secure then VNC)
    Here is a howto on useing rdp with windows and linux
    http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/Lin...ation.html#RDP

another option is citrix webfram, they where lettign students download it for free for a while not sure if the still are its at www.mycitrix.com This would have the advantage of working over port80 and 443 through a browser, I have used it before it dose every thing that vnc dose and is just a quick. More over it gets you a skill in high demand in the industry (most companies are looking for citrix admins and there are not many out there).
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    No matter what you use, read or try, one thing that you *MUST* be sure of is that your home PC has a listening port on the internet that uses a routable IP. Otherwise, your cable modem/DSL modem etc. will eat the traffic because most connections are NATed at not only the high speed modem but also at the SOHO router.

My guess is that outbound egress filtering at the college is not done and if it is, it's extremely light. If it were me, I'd work backwards from my home computer.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden