Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tricky spyware (again)

tricky spyware (again)

Ok, here goes.

I go to update spybot, and I get a bad checksum error when I D/L the updates. So I reboot in safemode w/ networking. Same thing. I scan my computer while in safe mode and get this:

Error during check!: Xuron55 (Datei C:\WINDOWS\win.ini kann nicht geöffnet werden. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process)
    I figure it is just a tricky little bastard, so I go to the spybot homepage and D/L the update by hand. Install it ok, check the details, so far so good.

I scan again in safe mode. Same thing... Any ideas ?

*side note: MS anti-spyware pretty good ? I hear good things, but I want to know more before I think about getting it.

/edit - Yes, I tried updating the advanced detection routines, but they get the bad checksum error, also
    The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool - Good Ole Bill Shakespeare

Hoopy Frood
    1) Tried uninstalling and resinstalling Spybot? I realize that with the error you're getting this is an unlikely problem, but I believe it's worth a shot.

2) MS Antispyware is so-so. I don't like to use it because I've heard that once in a rare while (quite rare) it's foobarred Windows installs. It's still in Beta. And not to mention I don't like those Microsoft *****s since they downloaded the Recommended Action upon a positive Claria detection ONE WEEK after they bought out Claria.

- Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

I've had the checksum issue before. Usually, I change the download site and it goes through. Sometimes the mirror you are using may have a bad copy. I just ran the updates. The first mirror generated the checksum error. Then I selected SaferNetworking #1 and it came down just fine.

143 new immunizations.

Regal Making Handler
    http://castlecops.com/t120363-SpyBot..._geoffnet.html

Refers to your problem, take a look

<edit>
    Sorry chaps, the link is broken. There is a
    tag being added to the URI be the board which is showing up as "%3Cbr%20/%3E" in the address bar. Copy and paste the link then remove "%3Cbr%20/%3E" and the link should work.

<edit2>
    This is getting weird (% 3 C b r % 2 0 / % 3 E) without the gaps is what needs to be removed, it is being changed to %3Cbr%20/%3E when I submit.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

The link gets weird, jinxy. Well, I got through to it anyway, with a little editing. The issue discussed addresses 1.3. If you are still running that version, the uninstall and install to 1.4 makes a lot of sense. It works much better, anyway.

Hi,

I have had the checksum error several times............like rapier57 I found that changing the download site fixed the problem.

You might like to try these:

http://www.ewido.net/en/
    http://www.emisoft.com/en/software/free/

The Ewido one has a 14 day trial during which its interactiv protection works. You can update and use it for free in "on demand" scanning mode after that.

A-Squared (emisoft) tends more towards trojans and diallers whilst Ewido is more of a general adware and spyware scanner.

Regal Making Handler
    Originally posted here by rapier57
    The link gets weird, jinxy. Well, I got through to it anyway, with a little editing. The issue discussed addresses 1.3. If you are still running that version, the uninstall and install to 1.4 makes a lot of sense. It works much better, anyway.
    Bloody Board is adding BR tags to some links again. I'll see if I can edit my post.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

I getting bad checksum often. I just traing to download from different mirrors. At least one of them working fine with no problems. And in case that spybot not starting or scanning going too fast "0 to end" in few sec. Download scanner from trendmicro and run it first and then try spybotsd again and it will work.
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    // too far away outside of limit

Well, I just uninstalled and re-installed latest version. And it worked No more checksum errors, I can be up-to-date now

After a safe-mode scan, I got no Xuron error.
    After I defrag today, I'm gonna do a trendmicro house call.
    The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool - Good Ole Bill Shakespeare

Originally posted here by dmorgan
    Well, I just uninstalled and re-installed latest version. And it worked No more checksum errors, I can be up-to-date now

After a safe-mode scan, I got no Xuron error.
    After I defrag today, I'm gonna do a trendmicro house call.
    Yeeeehaaaawwww!!!