Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera problem..

Angry Camera problem..

Greetings ppl,

I have a small problem here with an acer digital camera with a usb port connector..The problem is the following..When i plug the camera into the pc via the usb cable it shuts down my pc,regardless whether it is on or off.If i leave it plugged in and try to restart it refuses to boot..Plug it out and it goes fine no problem..The acer software is on my pc and the only instruction is to turn a little knob next to the shutter on the top to custom settings ,select usb cable and your pc should then pick it up as a removable drive.. Best of all it used to work for a week(only got it last week)and now all of a sudden it does that..

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated..
    thanks
    vanman
    Practise what you preach.

Just a thought but maybe the USB port might be playing games.
    Have you tried plugging something else into that USB port like a wireless keyboard or something.

Or try just plugging in the cord once windows loads up, then once everything is loaded up, plug the camera to the usb cord.
    and if it shuts down once you connect the camera to the cord, then i'd say the camera is a little flucked..

Regards
    f2b

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    You going through a USB hub?

I've seen them do some funny things.
    Never seen it shut a PC down though.

Hi vanman

I am guessing this is your Windows XP box?...............are there any messages in the logs?

I would concur with Aspman in that I have seen some strange things with USB, but never it provoking a shutdown.

Try what .:front2back:. suggests. I would also try a different cable if you have one, and see if you get the same result with ALL the USB ports.

Originally posted here by nihil
    Hi vanman

I am guessing this is your Windows XP box?...............are there any messages in the logs?

Try what .:front2back:. suggests. I would also try a different cable if you have one, and see if you get the same result with ALL the USB ports.

Thx guys..I am not going through a hub and i have tried one other usb port "same story " and i have tried my flashdrive which works fine..Nihil i have not looked at the logs but will do so when i get home.It is my xp box and one other thing i have tried bypassing my my extended cable which i forgot to mention and went straight into the usb.Still nothing..

A shot in the dark here ppl, can it be that it is draining my psu or not??Just remembered i have just put in my new graphix card Leadtek geforce 6 le 128mb,but running it from a seperate psu built into my box which is 200watt..Could this have anything to do with it??

but running it from a seperate psu built into my box which is 200watt..Could this have anything to do with it??
    i'd place money on that's the cause of the drama. Your outlet is obviously not handling the surge, and therefore shutting down the system.
    try putting in a smaller card or something, then try it.

Remember front2back it is a totally seperate psu with it,s own supply..I still have my 300watt one servicing the system and screen etc,..Just want to make sure ..Are you thinking that i am running my system on the 200??That one just feeds the screencard..My 300 is too small to handle the screencard as well as all the rest..

Edit:Just thouht of this..I am going to try the camera on another system at a friends house and i will let you know what happened

Hi vanman
    Please get yourself a bigger power supply as i suspect that with your current setup something else will go.Must say this is the first time i have heard that someone runs two power supplies to power there comp and to me this spells trouble (harmonics) You have the screencard pluged in the agp slot and if you are running the 6800 ultra as i am you have to have 12v pluged in from a spare conector(the same type that plugs into a h/d)
    What i dont know is how many AMPS the camera pulls when pluged into the USB port compared with the flashdrive.
    When i installed my screen card it pulled my comp dead. I then unpluged one of the hard drives everything worked fine until i tried to burn a DVD and lo and behold one dead DVD drive.Bought a 500 watt power supply and new DVD drive now every thing works
    Regards
    Mike
    Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.....

Well after trying it on my friends pc with a 350 watt psu, first in the usb2 port which picked up new hardware found but we could not get the system on his machine to accept the drivers...Then we decided to use one of the normal usb,s and his mouse and keyboard went dead..By dead i mean he could not use it while in windows.. Just for intrest sake he formatted his hdd boot partition the previous night so there was nothing unsual which can cause this scenario..

I am at a dead end so tell me what you guys propose and in the meanwhile i will have to think about taking it to the dealer where it was bought or am i making a mistake, reason being that "i could have been the cause of this or am i just paranoid??

i'd would have sent it back to the dealer telling 'em the prob and get 'em to check the camera cause it's starting to sound like the camera is faulty.
    So you could spend weeks trying different things and if the camera is faulty, then you arn't gonna get anywhere...
    If you just purchased it, then take it back to the store, and try to exchange it or something for something identical.

cheers
    f2b:.