Thread: Rough Edges in Flash

Rough Edges in Flash

Hey Hey,

I've been charged with some website updates here at work and the site is entirely in flash, not exactly my forte with web design.

Anyways.... What we have is a section of Bio pages... each employee has one with an image of them. The image tweens from the right of the screen to just past center. The image is a circle, which means using either a GIF or PNG with a transparent background (correct??). The problem I'm having is that when I import the image to the library and then add it to the movie, it looks fine... When I export the movie and play it, the image is very rough around the edges. The circle looks jagged instead of smooth as it originally was... I've tried everything I can think of.. used a Gif, used a PNG, used a really big file and decreased the size, made it the exact size.. hell I even tried using a smaller image size and dragging it larger. I've done interlaced and non-interlaced.. I've left it as an image and converted it to a symbol... Everytime it stays rough.. now sometimes it's a little less rough than others, but it's never completely smooth... The other Bio pages on the website are all completely smooth... and I've looked at them.. they're done no differently than I'm doing this one.....

Is there some hidden smothing feature in flash, or some way I can fix this?

Peace,
    HT

flashs support for imported bitmap images has been gettign better but it is no where near perfect. When you export an fla to swf flash applies its own compression methods to the content including images. What I would suggest is if it is only a simple circle is to recreate it in flash using its own vector drawing tools. This way there shouldn't be any loss in quality no matter what tansformations you apply to it.

you might also have better results if you import a vector image into flash rather than a bitmap (.eps, .ai) some more info

remember flash is a vector program not bitmap so the abilities it has for handling bitmap images is quite limited.

Originally posted here by valhallen
    flashs support for imported bitmap images has been gettign better but it is no where near perfect. When you export an fla to swf flash applies its own compression methods to the content including images. What I would suggest is if it is only a simple circle is to recreate it in flash using its own vector drawing tools. This way there shouldn't be any loss in quality no matter what tansformations you apply to it.

you might also have better results if you import a vector image into flash rather than a bitmap (.eps, .ai) some more info

remember flash is a vector program not bitmap so the abilities it has for handling bitmap images is quite limited.
    Hey Hey,

Thanks for the info... I'll try importing a .eps (hrm.. is it a or an if it's a file extension and there's a . first). I'm not using a simple circle.. it's a photograph of the person with some assorted effects added.. just happens to be circular...

As for the link.. I need to buy a membership to view it.

again... thanks for the info.

Peace,
    HT