Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: electromagntic pulse and similar threats

Kwiep
    The cd thing isn't that specific, it works on a real big spectrum of em-waves as long as there's enough energy in the waves.

Here's some more microwave fun I stumbled on: http://margo.student.utwente.nl/el/microwave/
    Double Dutch

I can assure you that metal isn't exploding around Elmendorf AFB or other such installations (though you prolly could cook meak on the ground 100yds out).
    Yes, those are long range 3-D radars operating between 1200 and 1400MHz, the microwave oven is a very specific application running at 2.4MHz. The oven is meant to cook stuff the radars are not, in fact there are standards for what is acceptable from an air safety viewpoint.

All that is happening is a little ohmic heating when it vaporizes the metal. When it vaporizes, electricity can flow through the vapor causing a few arcs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor

Sorry I haven't replied to this thread but my library's computer blocks posts and there is no Internet Cafe, Kinko's. If your computer is down and other access is unavailable, you're thwarted. I'm working on rectifying the situation.

Nihil, you're not picky. I liked your question. It's a good question. I can't answer the question with any specificity.

Michigan legislature Bill 4513 is an amendment to 1931 PA328, which defines crimes and prescribes penalties for crimes. The above crime is defined as: "a device designed to emit irradiate or that, as a result of its design, emits or radiates an electronic pulse, current, beam, signal, or microwave that is intended to cause harm to others or cause damage to, destroy, or disrupt any electronic or telecommunications system or device, including, but not limited to, a computer, computer network, or computer system".

Massachusetts has a similar law.

The traditional wisdom was that if something sends out a electronic pulse, current, beam, signal, or microwave, you could trace it. With a directional antenna, a receiver that picks up the signal and displays its strength, you should be able to find out where the signal is coming from and where the sending antenna is.

Now I'm thinking that if a device is radiating an electronic pulse, current, beam, signal, or microwave it would be difficult to determine where it was coming from. Technically speaking to measure a signal and to use the right testing equipment, you have to know rather precisely what type of signal you are looking for.

Dang, my particle beam ray gun is illegal in Massachusetts, and soon Michigan! Where will it stop? Suppose they will outlaw plasma generators, too?