Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: electromagntic pulse and similar threats

Here's the best part, EMP GENERATOR KITS ARE AVAILABLE ONLINE!!!
    http://www.plans-kits.com/plans/emp.html

If you wanna go homebrew, check this out:

http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/a...pp/apjemp.html

The above also has some information on hardening against, and deploying emp weapons if you manage to pick up an old Mig21 on Ebay.

I always enjoyed the net stories you read about saying that hackers would make emp weapons out of radioshack parts and then they would black mail banks for millions.

One thing you want to think about before you spend all your money on hardening your PC from EMP blasts is how your going to interract with it. Any kind of wire going in or out of your faraday cage is a road for the pulse. What this means for the small timer is no power, keyboard, mouse, monitor, network connections or anything for that matter. That is unless you put a fuse on each connector so that massive pusle pops the fuse in a heartbeat. I could be wrong, but seems rather pointless, as your probably in deeper **** than a broken computer if its EMPs doing.

Ah but killerbees, don't forget about the wonders of wireless keyboards and mice. Although the faraday cage would probably screw up most of those as well. Unless you had an infra-red set...
    If everything looks perfect, then there is something you don\'t know

That's why, qwertyman66, TEMPEST defense is more of an exercise in futility.

Yeah, killerbees, you got it.

I'm gonna greenie darlene. This was a cool thread. Even though it borders on fantasy.

Underground Bunker, somewhere in Antarctica
    transformers make pretty colors when they explode...

anyway, unless you have some money burning a hole in your pocket that you have absolutely NOTHING else to spend on, i wouldnt spree for a faraday cage. they are more used for protecting vital governmental or corportate data from freak lightning strikes and the ocassional alien spacecraft or mad scientist. and if its nuclear blasts you shouldnt be worrying about losing the 60GB of downloaded music and pron on your computer.
    I know your type, you think "I'll just get me a costume, rip off the neighborhood kids". Next thing you know, you've got a jet shaped like a skull with lasers on the front!
    -The Monarch.

I think a faraday cage would screw up the wireless connections, and if you could manage to get a signal thru them, that antennae would be another line straight into the computer. The only way you could really get an effective faraday cage is if you put your whole building in it, it had its own generator, and you had a laser acting as your network cable inbetween you and whatever your internet medium is. However, the price tag of all that makes it only feasable for people in Forbes Magazine and your average government.

Hell, I don't even think your average world government has stuff that cool. On a side note though, I've seen some electronic homebrew types who've created some EMP style guns that will kill a computer monitor. I can't remember the particular site but I know they are out there.

Now TEMPEST is another story all together. We've almost gotten to the point where if someone with enough money wants to figure out what your doing, they will. Its gotten to the point of shooting Microwaves through walls to measure the vibrations of clothing to figure out what people are talking about in the room. Oh, and then there's that guy who came up with the "Angel Light" device that can see through walls and such. I don't really buy that though, his whole claim to fame is building a suit that he could fight a bear hand to hand with. Although the french gave him a bunch of money. So i don't know what to believe with that. I just can't get over who the hell would want to build a suit to fight a bear hand to hand. Thats what we invented guns for. Oh, and the guy designs these pads that can survive RPG attacks and stuff. I saw it on the discovery channel. Really cool stuff.

I love the discovery channel because now I know exactly who to talk to if I have to fight some bears armed with RPGs.

OK

Please give me a little while, but I will post some fonts that will not resolve under a TEMPEST attack...................honest, I kid you not

Just don't ask where they came from, huh?

No good against modern stuff though (Spesh~ did you understand that?) ............................

Gotta put a few dots in for Spazza?

Ack Phtt!

One of my Evil Genius books has a project for building a small laser/receiver package that can be used for eavesdropping. Shoot the laser at a window, and the receiver picks up the vibrations in the glass (registered by the laser) and translates that back into sound. Stealth listening.

Hemmingway was right, they are using lasers to see into our brains!

Kwiep
    Hey I got two little somethings to think about.
    - Alot of people believe cd's would survive an EMP (because their plastic or something). Are cd's/dvd's immune to EMP's? They don't contain chips, but they do have conductive layers. Also when you put a cd in the microwave, it will give you a nice spark show. However, an EMP doesn't nescesarily contain microwaves.
    - In how much a way does an EMP have a magnetic impact and what is the impact of a big magnetic pulse? Afaik a faraday cage only protects against the electric part of an EMP, not the magnetic part.
    Double Dutch

cds are optic media light is more likely to harm them than emp, and pvc is an insulator
    Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Well, granted that the CD/DVD would be protected from the effects of an EMP from a nuclear burst (since that is an electromagnetic pulse). But, an artificially generated pulse is effected through the generation of microwaves. So, there is a chance that the artificially generated EMP could cook the data on the CD/DVD, depending on proximity.

However, in a nuclear burst, the heat and flash would probably vaporize the CD/DVD pretty effectively, too.