Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PS Guard . . . . again

Unhappy PS Guard . . . . again

Ok I am running windows xp home sp1
    ad aware
    spybot S&D
    AVG

I had previously been infected with this PS Guard crap and was able to sucsessfully kill it with spybot s&d. This time however when i do a scan with it and then tell it to fix(delete) the found problems i get told it couldn't kill 2 items because they are currently being used in the memory. It then asks if i want to run spybot after my next comp restart to delete ps guard before it loads. Now this all happened last time and when i re-booted last time spybot started before anything loaded, all i could see was my background there was no taskbar or desktop icons, and then finished killin ps guard. This time however when i reboot spybot does not start while windows is loading and therefore doesn't finish cleaning out ps guard. Does anyone know of a program specifically written for killing ps guard or a way to make spybot do what its supposed to do?

First off, you have to boot into safe mode - then run the adware cleaner. Checkout [insert fav AV software name] web site for manual removal instructions or tools.

My favorite is http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

You can try this tool prior to booting into safe mode and mannualy removing.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Hmm. i didn't know i had to boot into safe mode to get rid of this. is it possible then that the last time i had this, about a month ago, i didn't really get rid ofd it since i didn't scan/clean in safemode? And regarding safe mode its been way too long since i have booted to it let me just make sure i still remember what to do. i run msconfig right?

double post

reboot the PC and hit F8 before the XP logo appears
    There are two rules for success in life:
    Rule 1: Don't tell people everything you know.

Restart your PC. When you see "starting windows" press F8 and choose safe mode from the command list.

Yay i was hoping someone would suggest that . . . well. . . . it doesn't do anything on my computer! When booting the only options i have prior to the xp logo appears is to hit f1 to enter bios options or hit f10 to enter system restore.

OK after the F1 - F10 option disapears from your screen - start pressing F8.

You probably have "quick boot" type options enabled in your BIOS

Well i never thought of hitting it after that initial "hit f1 for this f10 for this" page. When i get off of work, GAAAAH another 6 hours in this hell hole, i will try it and let you all know how it goes.

Also, i remember hearing, wether or not its true, that just pressing and holding f8 wont work, but i need to do a steady "tapping" of the f8 key. is this true or will just pressing it once and either holding it down or not holding work.

Holding down any key while booting any x86 hardware will cause issues. you can continually press F8 but if you hear a beep when pressing, stop.