• XP (2000/98/ME) is fine by me.

26 44.83%
  • Do we need a vista poll?

8 13.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are You Ashamed?

Are You Ashamed?

Who, on this site with honest intentions, is ashamed of the fact?......................you know that I moved my pr0n stash years ago

So, lets remove the "hidden members" option?.............that is certainly being abused by Trolls, and serves no useful function that I can think of? I am a little fed up with having to use moderator stuff to monitor them.

"If you ain't got the bawlz, stay outa AO"

Hi nihl,

I've never used it so I voted to get rid of it...personally I can't see the reason why someone would choose to ' secretly ' hide from the other members...perhaps a lurker who uses that option can enlighten me.

Eg

The problem is when a troll is trolling for someone. They see someone get on, and send them 10 PMs. I voted before I thought of an idea. Make it so you get the hidden option at the same time as avatars. Not much help against trolls but better than nothing.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    I never use the feature, however, I think it's ok for some people to not have others see every post they are reading, or if they are sending a PM, looking at their APs, or whatever it may be, if they choose anonymity.

I'm sure it would be a coding nighmare but maybe it could be an "earned benefit" to opt to be invisible. This way new trolls couldn't hide so easily.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

Hi The Grunt,

So...you're saying that people use it to escape trolls? To avoid letting them know you're on board?

They see someone get on, and send them 10 PMs.
    But...they can send you PM's even when you're not online...so how does hiding from them protect you?

I'm asking because I don't see the point of the feature.

Eg

I agree with mathgirl32, I would suggest it to be an earned benefit, maby for {along with}Addict.
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I actually use it as a mod. When I first came here I used it to avoid a certain person that did his best to harass me whenever I was on. Now as a mod I use it to quietly mod in the background.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Hi MsM,

I can see it's usefulness for a mod...but I still don't see the benefit for the regular member.

You say you used it to avoid harassment...posting opens you up to harassment...PM's can be sent whether they see you or not...if someone really wanted to harass someone hiding your online status wouldn't be much help at all.

Even mod status wouldn't prevent that if someone didn't care whether or not they got banned...being a mod does not exclude you...it just offers you a way to deal with it.

Eg

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    I actually use it as a mod. When I first came here I used it to avoid a certain person that did his best to harass me whenever I was on. Now as a mod I use it to quietly mod in the background.
    Hi MsM,

I think letting everyone to know that a Mod is online may restrain trolls and other sabotage ants.
    Especially after nihil became a mod, we are having patrols around the clock, everything would be under control, I believe.

Cheers
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

People use pms like ims a lot. Especially the trollish types. I had one send me 3 in the span of 5 minutes without my reply right after I logged in.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.