Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maxtor Breaks 500-GB Barrier

Maxtor Breaks 500-GB Barrier

In the PC, Maxtor's new 500-GB drives will be available as either the DiamondMax 11 or as part of an Ultra16 upgrade kit, which will retail for a suggested price of $349.95.

All of the new drives include a 16MB buffer and are available with 3.0-Gbit SATA II features including native command queuing (NCQ), staggered spin up, hot-plug and asynchronous signal recovery.

Maxtor's new drive offerings also include 400- and 500-GB versions of is QuickView drives for PVRs and other CE applications, which have been enhanced with ATA 7 Streaming Commands for multistream video management. In PVR terms, 500 gigabytes can store up to 89 hours of HDTV or about 500 hours of standard-definition video.

The additional capacity points were also added to Maxtor's MaXLine of enterprise drives. Maxtor MaXLine Pro drives include rotational vibration compensation, to avoid errors caused by many rotating drives spinning within a RIAD array, as well as 15-second accelerated data recovery and a suite of self tests.
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...129TX1K0000532
    Maxtor Breaks 500-GB Barrier

AOs Resident Troll
    ummmmmmm

Maxtors......

I see one in a machine....I replace it....from experience...I find them "unreliable" to say the least

MHO..as always

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Originally posted here by morganlefay
    ummmmmmm

Maxtors......

I see one in a machine....I replace it....from experience...I find them "unreliable" to say the least

MHO..as always

MLF
    I second that... I've had the worst "luck" with maxtors.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

AOs Resident Troll
    and...something else...

Can the OS REALLY handle a system installed on a partition that large.

I remember with NT 4.0...when the large hardrives came out...you had to limit the OS system install to under 8gigs...as the OS had trouble accessing the system files spread out over the drives...thus becoming unstable.

I am still of the old school...system partions...data partitions..specially on large drives

again MHO

MLF

I normally use smaller hard drives and partitions for my OS install and the larger hard drives and partitions for data. If I were to get a 500gb hd, it'd be for storing data or for onsite backup purposes.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

AOs Resident Troll
    Great minds think alike

MLF

Originally posted here by morganlefay
    and...something else...

Can the OS REALLY handle a system installed on a partition that large.

I remember with NT 4.0...when the large hardrives came out...you had to limit the OS system install to under 8gigs...as the OS had trouble accessing the system files spread out over the drives...thus becoming unstable.

I am still of the old school...system partions...data partitions..specially on large drives

again MHO

MLF
    For what it's worth here's the theroy http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...c_fil_tdrn.asp

IMHO Maxtor sucks big time And the only reason I could possibly see needing a single 500GB HDD would be to install Windows 2095
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

********** |ceWriterguy
    /me sits waiting patiently on terrabyte drives for pc's to make their affordable debut.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

I'm using approximately 7GB on an 80GB...with 93% free space...

Originally posted here by Egaladeist
    I'm using approximately 7GB on an 80GB...with 93% free space...

I use about 10gig on my 120gig hdd including the games i play ..My kids on the other hand have the rest of the 100gig+another 20gig maxtor drive..And guess what they have on it (Anime, if prenounced correctly which are animated movies..dvd movies and all of their games as well)Now the good part They still have the nerve to ask ME!! if it is possible to take some of MY!! stuff off sothat they can have some space..Imagine that.. Now they ask me why am i drinking my bathwater..LOL
    Practise what you preach.