Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new scam (to me)

A new scam (to me)

This one is new to me
    john Akili <johnakili@netscape.net> to me Oct 27
    Good day,
    I have the courage to ask for your assistance to handle this important project believing that you will never let us down either now or in future.l am mr john Akili from Gabon 25 years old,but starying here now in COTONOU, REPUBLIC OF BENIN with my mother and sister under UNITED NATIONS HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR REFUGEES.
    I got your contact from MICROSOFT.please consider this letter as a request from a family in their need of your assistance.Before my father's death,he was Brigadier in charge of arms and ammunition purchase for the Gabon Armed Forced.
    On behalf of my family I decided to solicit for your assistance to transfer the sum of €21,320,000.000,(Twenty One Million, Three Hundred and Twenty Thousand Euros)inherited from my late father into your personal or company's account.
    please if you can assist write me back and l will forward to you more documents and details of bank where he deposited the fund in FRANCE .
    Am waiting to read your reply soon.
    Thanks.
    Mr.John Akili.
    For my Family.
    NB.PLEASE REPLY TO FAMILY EMAIL akilifamily@gawab.com
    gmail didn't stop it (I reported this as spam to gmail)

Funny that he uses netscape.net mail and got my contact from Microsoft

It looks the same as all the other 419s to me..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

T3h Ch3F
    They must have fled Nigeria Via Gabon, because of prosecution not persecution. Let's face it the premise is always the same, the bait always untold sums of money. Anyone dumb enough to fall for this should not own a computer.

P:
    Get some good religion from Bad Religion.

Such scams have become common..

Here I post a series of emails which I received from a phisher in Abidjan posing as Sonia Johnson. According to the scammer..........'SHe is Sonia Johnson.. Her father has been murdered and she wants to get away from the murderers to save her life. She (or he-- not sure) said that her father has left huge sums of money (Hundreds of Millions of dollars) behind and wants to shift to India with money to escape the danger. All she wanted from me to arrange an admission in some college in India and arrange someplace to stay. She promised to stay with me in India also posed as if she has fallen in Love with me. Also she wanted me to email her bank manager about the fund transfer details.

The first contact from the scammer was made with my office boy, who was chatting in Yahoo's chat room. He could not figure out that he is going to be robbed. Thinking that he has got a girlfriend, who badly requires his help, he kept on answering these emails. When his bank account details were asked for, he informed me about this case.

In the first instance I was suspicious that it was a phishing scam.. Though identity theft was also associated with it. I was provided with the real photographs of the girl, death certificate of her father as well as copy of her father's bank account's statement.

To know about the actual matter, I decided to continue and persuade the scammer to provide me further information. We had seen the photographs, but scammer refused to come on voice chat or have a video conference.. This was sufficient to believe that it was a scam. The email addresses of bank manager in Bank Account Statements were obviously changed, how could this be possible that the bank manager of a bank uses a Yahoo email though such people are provided official email addresses for their official communication. Anyhow I dropped an email to the (said)manager's account also. I was aware that the (said to be)manager's yahoo email account is also being used by scammer himself. But I was only chasing him and pursuading to get to some conclusions. The responsed came, asking for my bank account number to transfer money.

One of the scammer's email....

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 04:57:59 -0700 (PDT)
    Subject: Re: Send it
    To: "sanju kumar" <xxxxxxxxx@yahoo.com>

HTML Attachment [ Download File | Save to Yahoo! Briefcase ]

honey,
    i finished read ur mail now and i dont know what to do about geting this documents, i will go to the bank tomorrow morning to ask the bank manager how do i get those documents and i will get back to u to furnish u with the outcomes.

urs

honey
    sonia

One more.....

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 01:41:25 -0700 (PDT)
    Subject: Re: please ur urgent assistance will be highly regarded by me
    To: "sanju kumar" <xxxxxxxxxxx@yahoo.com>

Hello Honey,
    Hope you are in good health today.
    After reading your mail this morning and the forwarded mail from the bank, I went to the bank to find out how to get these documents and was directed by the bank manager to meet the court registrar,on reaching the court, the court registrar made me to understand that I will have to pay some money for the stamp duty and other legal charges which will cost USD 1, 600 dollar.

The bank manager inform me that I can not have any access of the money that my late father deposited unless I provide these documents that my late father desposited the money as a fixed desposit.
    since after hearing this news i was highly upset and tired of my living as a human being, i then went to my church pastor he promised to assist me with USD 400 dollar and get me visa to india as soon as the transfer is concluded, he also told me that i am going to refund him whatever money he spent after the transfer is made and i flee to india which i gladly agreed with him on a writing document with his lawyer.
    Please my dear I need your assistance in providing me with USD 800 dollar while i will provide the remaining USD 400 dollar so that I can obtain this documents and submit it to the bank for the onward transer of the money into your account as soon as possible,for the bank manager said that once I can provide the bank with the needed documents,the bank will effect the transfer and the money will get into your account within three working days ( 72 Hours)
    Please try your best and help me out with the requested USD 800 dollar even if u have go and borrow the money i want u to be rest asure that as soon as the money is transfered i will set aside 5% out of the total ammount to pay for the debt/expenses made during this transaction so that once the transfer is concluded,I will come over and meet you in your country.I can't wait to see you my darling.
    Thanking you in advance for your concern and kind gesture,while I await your positive response.
    With all my love
    Sonia
    Here is next one

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 01:28:55 -0700 (PDT)
    Subject: Re: my last proofs to you.
    To: "sanju kumar" <xxxxxxxxxx@yahoo.com>

dearest sanjay,
    compliment of the day, sanjay u act somethings that baffles me a lot, u always suspect me of telling u lies how would i?. sanjay could you bcos of money come over to the internet and lie to people that ur parents are dead? if u could do that or plan for the premature death of ur parents then consider that what i am telling you is lie but if u could not do that why dont you stop suspecting me of beeing bad. i swear wit the name of God my parents re late and all what i am telling you is the gospel truth and my truth whort GOLD. sanjay i am sending you my late fathers birth and death certificate as my last poof to you believe it or you forget about this transaction while i will look another person whom will assist me. u re taking the matter too personal u ve gathered every information about me including my pictures why are u still afraid of what i can do to u, but you only send me a half pictures but i still confirm my trust on you, let me tell u why ia m not eager to get more informations about u, its bcos God in hevean and my late parents are strongly behind me nobody can cheat me if anybody does the will fight the battle for me.

confirm the birth and death certificate for futher proof and do act urgentlt to send the 200 dollar u promised to send.

with all love

sonia
    Note down the dates on emails..the scammer thought he had got someone to loot, but when we declined to provide our bank details (as is obvious from the last email) he only begged for 200$, at least he wanted to make up for what he had spent on his cybercafe bills in the last 10 days. But we had to decline for tht too.

Such scams have become very common and most of the people these days. Here are some rules which I taught to my office boy..

Rule 1: Never believe anybody whosoever offers you money on the net.
    Rule 2: Never give your bank account details or any personal information whatsoever on the net.
    Rule 3: Keep your electronic documents (driving licence copies, phone bill copies, bank account statements etc) only on computers which are absolutely secure.
    Rule 4: Never use web email addresses to interchange such documents.

Though the list can be extended appreciably ...but these are just basic points which anybody has to take care while chatting.

T3h Ch3F

?????????????????????

If someone walked to you in the street and asked you for more than a dollar would you give it to them?

If you answered no, and you responded to an e-mail asking for more, your are just plain ignorant.

Phishing is not oroginal anymore.............

You will not see an e-mail framed on my wall..

Get some good religion from Bad Religion.

Hi

O I dunno, I liked the one which invited me to participate in criminal fraud for untold sums of money. At least it was reasonably original.

Richard
    No one can foresee the consequences of being clever.

Hi the_JinX,

Here's your Spam...

http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-s...-Aug/0001.html
    SuSE mailinglist: SPAM: john paris.

Eg

Interesting Variant

I received an interesting variant on this old theme yesterday. It didn't appear to come from anywhere in Africa, but from the UK. And it didn't ask for money outright, just assistance to cash money orders. I'm afraid I'm not bright enough with money to see where the scam is (perhaps just identity theft?), but this one just smelled fishy to me. Anyway...here's the new variant:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Would you like to work online from home and get paid weekly ?

L & N LIMITED needs a book-keeper in the state,so i want to know if you will
    like to work online from home and get paid weekly without leaving or
    affecting your present job?

It's just that i presently run a textile and fabrics firm i inherited from
    my late Dad in the UK and we need someone to work for the company as a
    representative/book keeper in the States.

My company produces various clothing materials, batiks, assorted fabrics and
    traditional costume which we have clients we supply weekly in the states.

My clients make payments for our supplies every week in form of Money Orders
    which are not readily cashable outside the United States, So we need someone
    in the States to work as our representative and assist us in processing the
    payments from our clients and i will pay HIM/HER 10% weekly salary.

ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS TO RECEIVE THIS PAYMENTS FROM OUR CLIENTS IN THE
    STATES, GET IT CASHED IN YOUR BANK THEN DEDUCT YOUR 10% WEEKLY PAYMENT AND
    FOWARD THE BALANCE TO THE COMPANY DOWN HERE VIA INTERNATIONAL MONEY GRAM.

Our payments will be issued out in your name and you get them cashed in your
    bank, deduct your 10% weekly salary and foward the balance to the company
    via INTERNATIONAL MONEY GRAM.

SO ALL I NEED IS TO FOWARD YOUR INFORMATIONS TO OUR CLIENTS IN THE STATES
    AND THEY ISSUE PAYMENTS IN FORM OF MONEY ORDERS, THEN SEND IT TO YOU VIA
    COURIER SERVICE.

I will need your Full name, Residential Address and Phone Number so we can
    foward it to our clients and they will start making payments to you as the
    company'representative in the states

I WILL EMAIL YOU A LETTER OF EMPLOYMENT FROM OUR COMPANY WHICH YOU HAVE TO
    REPLY WITH AN ACCEPTANCE LETTER AND A SCANNED COPY OF YOUR INDETIFICATION ATTACHED TO IT(optional).

AS SOON AS WE CONFIRM ANY PAYMENT COMING TO YOU, I WILL LET YOU KNOW AND I
    WILL GIVE YOU THE INFORMATION TO SEND THE FUNDS TO THE COMPANY VIA
    INTERNATIONAL MONEY GRAM.

I AWAIT YOUR URGENT RESPONSE.

Warmest Regards,
    Alex Robinson.
    CEO L & N Fabrics & textiles
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar

Re: Interesting Variant

Originally posted here by roswell1329
    I received an interesting variant on this old theme yesterday. It didn't appear to come from anywhere in Africa, but from the UK. And it didn't ask for money outright, just assistance to cash money orders. I'm afraid I'm not bright enough with money to see where the scam is (perhaps just identity theft?), but this one just smelled fishy to me. Anyway...here's the new variant:
    It's either identity theft of money laundering.

Since it's now getting harder to launder money, genuine people are being recruited to assist.

The problem is accounts have triggers on them & if a large amount of cash appears, the account will get investigated. Gues who's door the cops will knock on?

It's true of retailers as well. We are obliged not to handle any transaction greated than a fixed amount without contatcing the relevant money laundering people first.

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

the best 419er I have ever seen, and by best I mean funniest, was the Nigerian Astronauts one I got about a year ago. I'm going to see if I can dig that one up as it never fails to make me chuckle.

ah here it is:

Subject: Nigerian Astronaut Wants To Come Home
    Dr. Bakare Tunde
    Astronautics Project Manager
    National Space Research and Development Agency
    (NASRDA)
    Plot 555
    Misau Street
    PMB 437
    Garki, Abuja, FCT NIGERIA

Dear Mr. Sir,

REQUEST FOR ASSISTANCE-STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL

I am Dr. Bakare Tunde, the cousin of Nigerian Astronaut, Air Force Major Abacha Tunde. He was the first African in space when he made a secret flight to the Salyut 6 space station in 1979. He was on a later Soviet spaceflight, Soyuz T-16Z to the secret Soviet military space station Salyut 8T in 1989. He was stranded there in 1990 when the Soviet Union was dissolved. His other Soviet crew members returned to earth on the Soyuz T-16Z, but his place was taken up by return cargo. There have been occasional Progrez supply flights to keep him going since that time. He is in good humor, but wants to come home.

In the 14-years since he has been on the station, he has accumulated flight pay and interest amounting to almost $ 15,000,000 American Dollars. This is held in a trust at the Lagos National Savings and Trust Association. If we can obtain access to this money, we can place a down payment with the Russian Space Authorities for a Soyuz return flight to bring him back to Earth. I am told this will cost $ 3,000,000 American Dollars. In order to access the his trust fund we need your assistance.

Consequently, my colleagues and I are willing to transfer the total amount to your account or subsequent disbursement, since we as civil servants are prohibited by the Code of Conduct Bureau (Civil Service Laws) from opening and/ or operating foreign accounts in our names.

Needless to say, the trust reposed on you at this juncture is enormous. In return, we have agreed to offer you 20 percent of the transferred sum, while 10 percent shall be set aside for incidental expenses (internal and external) between the parties in the course of the transaction. You will be mandated to remit the balance 70 percent to other accounts in due course.

Kindly expedite action as we are behind schedule to enable us include downpayment in this financial quarter.

Please acknowledge the receipt of this message via my direct number 234 (0) 9-234-2220 only.

Yours Sincerely, Dr. Bakare Tunde
    Astronautics Project Manager
    tip@nasrda.gov.ng

http://www.nasrda.gov.ng/
    oh roswell1329 that scam is a big one right now. They send you counterfit money orders that will pass the first stage of testing, visual, and will be deposited by your bank. You then cut them a legitimate money order and send it out of country. About a week or so later your bank will have found out that the original money order was counterfit and then cancel the deposit on you.... even though /you/ sent funds to someone else based off of that money. You then owe the bank money and you got scammed by someone out of country.

As I said this is a huge problem right now in the banking industry.

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a while, light him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar

Re: Interesting Variant

Originally posted here by roswell1329
    the money orders are fakes
    you put the cheques received into your account
    you send out of your account the required % of the cheques you receive ........
    the 'cheques' you received all bounce

you are out of pocket to the tune of whatever sum you sent PLUS they have your cheque WITH DETAILS [thank you very much sir / madam]

and there IS one born every minute

[edit]missed the last part of previous post

memo to self

BUY GLASSES, FOOL
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone