Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morally Wrong?

T3h Ch3F

Morally Wrong?

Greetings Friends:

I have had a great deal of time on my hands lately, as I closed my beloved resto. , and I have been finding reasons to slow down my spending lifestyle. I live in a very urban area (Atlanta).

I am able (without wardriving) to use WIFI internet for free via my USB Net adapter. I live in proximity to 12 free WIFI connections, Starbucks (in my bldg). among them, and I am able to surf without a Bell South bill.

I do not drink five dollar espresso's, yet I appreciate the services.

Is it so wrong to cancel my "paid" service?

Get some good religion from Bad Religion.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    That depeds on what their terms of service are.

If they advertise a free AP with no conditions go ahead.

If however they state it's for customers only, then perhaps you shouldn't

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

ultimately a question of personal ethics, is it not?

I'm reminded of Mallrats...
    <Brodie> My grandmother always said, "Why buy the cow when you get the sex for free?"
    <T.S.>She did?
    <Brodie> All the time. Course she became a lesbian on her 60th birthday, but that's beside the point.

Well, you get the point...

[edit] BTW - it's also a question of how much money you make - personally, I'm trying to decide whether I should pay for another month's Internet service or my car insurance bill... right now Internet service is way ahead... [/edit]
    My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online

T3h Ch3F

Hey Steve.

Thanks for the response Steve, here is the deal.

I buy some Java (not computer oriented), as well as pastries and crappy Starbucks bagels on a regular basis for my gf. from the shop in question. So as far as SB is concerned I do not feel bad.

I have 12+ profiles I have the abillty to "take advantage of". These are the connections I have guilt for. They are the direct result of sloppy "phoneco@phoneco.com" a guy and a van setup my network ppl.

My guilt is there.

I am not cracking ppl. just surfing on their backs.

T3h Ch3F

P:

Originally posted here by wiskic10_4
    ultimately a question of personal ethics, is it not?

I'm reminded of Mallrats...
    <Brodie> My grandmother always said, "Why buy the cow when you get the sex for free?"
    <T.S.>She did?
    <Brodie> All the time. Course she became a lesbian on her 60th birthday, but that's beside the point.

Well, you get the point...

Good point. Thus my original question.

At times morals need to be reinforced.

In the 90's I infiltrated my own project, without orifice's.

http://www.onion-router.net/

Back in the day they had a "lobby" where users would login at a central point. The only problem being that their IP's were clearly visible to the world.

Sound like today's WIFI> ? With some skill?

I am not advocating Cracking, I just think a more serious approach needs to be taken regarding the general public. **** I am a Chef! hehe

Everytime a "Van" full of Geeksquaders sets up a network in someones house, it is a perfect setup for blackhats.

Wanna login to a DSL connection>? WOW! Bellsouth users are issued the last 7 digits of the users phone# as a default password.......................... How many mom&pops change it??

Case&Point.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Sometimes it's difficult not to make use of these things.

I once has an annoying co. spamming me & I found out that I could null session their windows printer share.

I have to confess to printing out a large number of sheets of paper not so politely requesting them to stop sending me spam.

Probably not legal, but it stopped the spam.

It's still not something I'm proud of though. It just makes you feel a little less good about yourself.

Galdron, if you're worried, don't do. It will only get to you in the end.

OTOH, you are a customer of Starbucks, so....

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

The one concern I would have with using an open hotspot is that if you can get on it... so can anyone else. They don't have any security or encryption enabled... so all your traffic is available for anyone within proximity to sniff.

I use open hotspots when I'm away from my home... but I still VPN into my home connection for the added security. I don't want everyone knowing the contents of my email and what sites I visit. etc.

If you do decide to use the open hotspots.. maybe think about using some type of encrypted proxy. tor comes to mind. However, I'm not sure if traffic on tor is encrypted through the first hop or not... you may want to do some experimenting.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    Is it so wrong to cancel my "paid" service?
    Hell no! I use to work for these people. If I was you I would. Why pay for something that you can get for free?

you can rationalize to you hearts content but it's not using it the way it was intended so ethecially it's wrong.....but if i had no choice, as in i really need to cut done expenses to get by, i'd do it as long as there were no legal ramifications which might possibly degrade my situation even further, but it would still be wrong.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

when I moved in to my last apartment the folks at SBC were being jerks about installing DSL and told me it would be over a month before I could get it.

That is when I noticed a coffee shop that was down stairs that offered free wireless from their ZSpot connection. I checked the connection signal with the laptop and it showed a strong signal to me... so then I went downstairs and bought a coffee. I struck up a conversation with the owner of the shop and I explained my situation with the DSL connection and that I could get a signal from my apartment. I asked him if it was ok if I piggybacked off of him for a while, at least until I got my DSL, so I could keep up to date on emails, news, etc. He readily agreed because we were neighbors and he /wanted/ people to use his connection. The only thing he asked was to keep my surfing legit, which I had no problem with.

So my moral is, why don't you just ask the people at SB? Or if you can locate one of the other open connections you might want to ask them.

As for SBC I kicked them to the curb in favor of Comcast who was out there in a day to hook me up

/my current company operates open WiFi all over the place, about 150 locations around the country at the moment and we invite everyone that is in signal reach to use it...

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a while, light him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.