Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: explorer terminated on right click

Question explorer terminated on right click

Recently, my computer has been acting strangely.
    The symptoms include:
    * explorer being terminated on rightclick (on desktop/start menu)
    * explorer being terminated when trying to delete
    * other stuff too

My AV and spyware scanners picked up nothing.

Just some info:
    AV: ZL Security Suite BETA & A squared Free
    Firewall: "
    Spyware Removers: Spybot, MSAS, Ad-Aware
    Also: Spyware Blaster & Spyware Guard

Hope thats enough info.
    Well...its not gonna get much better than linux!

I would update your malware scanners, reboot into safe mode and run them again if you have not already done so?

I have tried that.
    I have scanned with online scanners from:
    BitDefender
    Command Antivirus
    Trend Micro
    and yet they detect a total of 0 malware files.
    I think it might be a problem with the right click menu or something related.

Did you add or remove any software or update anything immediately prior to this starting?

Does it happen if you boot into safe mode?

It sounds as if you have some corruption. You could try a repair install or go back to the last restore point when it worked properly?

If you go into something like control panel and right click, what happens then?

EDIT: It might be an idea to run the system file checker first, as that may fix it if you are lucky.

Go to <run> and type in SFC /scannow

I ran the SFC without any error messages. Right clicking in the control panel invokes the menu though when I right click on some items it takes a while. It also happens in safe mode when I right click on the icons on the desktop and in the start menu.

Well,

Firstly, I would not worry about speed at this stage, we are trying to find the cause

If you had the same problem in safe mode and off the desktop that would suggest (to me) that you had a corrupted Explorer install. As this is not the case, it suggests some sort of program/file conflict?

What messages do you get in your event logs? The application log is the favourite, but please look at them all.

Also, please go to:

http://www.winpatrol.com

Download and install that application. You can then use it to suspend any startup programs and processes that you do not absolutely NEED.......................and I do mean NEED

Turn off all auto updates, background processes and stuff like that. Make sure you are unplugged from the internet and disable your firewall and AV. Then try it.

http://www.ewido.net/en/
    http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

Download those, update them and run them in safe mode.

You said

* other stuff too
    What "other stuff"?

right click

maybe u have an unwanted windows service that runs causing this behavior. also check ur startup menu on MSCONFIG and make sure nothing fishy is listed. run hijack this too and check to see if any unwanted hosts are running on ur computer. u could always try to reinstall explorer if all else fails.

personally i only use a certain kind of spyware scanners. i use ad-aware, spybot, xoft, and spysweeper. to me the rest r not worth my time.

after i posted this i researched a lil bit go here cuz maybe ur divx codec or service pack 2 is causing this:
    http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/divxcrash.htm

I know that it is not divx software because I dont have any and there is no registry key where there is supposed to be. I might try scanning in safe mode later. I will get WinPatrol first

Hi Al~

It is rather unfortunate that we are about 5 hours apart on timezones

You have a bad problem in that I am pretty sure it is a conflict, but please run those other two free scanners I mentioned..............they find stuff the others don't

OK, Ewido is a trial, but that is only if you want the interactive to run for over 14 days................you can still update and run the on demand scanner for free after that.

I think that isle_of_infamy is thinking the same as me..................it is some sort of conflict?

A real pain to sort out, but you do feel good when you have done it

That is why I like the WinPatrol tool.................you can turn things on and off and change the boot order real easy?

You seem to have covered a number of areas..

the recomendations have pointed you towards either a Malware or System corruption..

Could I put a thought forward?

An old Programm supposedly long since uninstalled.. An example would be NORTON Antivirus. If there are any Norton/Symantec extras in the system, live update, livereg etc.. uninstall them then go to symantec and grab their AV removal tools.

I am not a lover of Zonelabs.. ... Deleted...

The other option is a ROOT KIT.. The tools Nihil has recommended are your best first bet.. on that front..

und3rtak3r

Flinch... kick
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr