Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Screen on opening some games

Blue Screen on opening some games

Hello!

I am using Windows ME. When i open some games like Spiderman Demo and Age Of Empires II full version.

After some time the bull screen pops up saying an error has been reported:

ALCXSENS(02) + Error: OE: 0028: FF17E6C7

I have searched the Microsoft Knowledge Base but could not find nything relevant...

Please help me.....

Personally i'd say change your Operating System to something else, Windows Me is a Resource Hog, and it tends to crap up and just crash, because it doesn't like to share resources with other programs.
    So if possible maybe just update to windows 2000, or even XP if your computer and your budget is up to it..

cheers
    f2b

Hi,

First thing to do is to look at the game instructions and make sure that you have the hardware and software to support them. DirectX etc....................

Your problem seems to be a driver one, "ALCXSENS" is your sound card/chipset.

My next move would be to update the sound drivers and videocard drivers..................if these are onboard, then look to your MoBo manufacturer for driver and BIOS updates.

T3h Ch3F

Greets

Hey Panther.

I have found in many cases (cause I am a gaming fanatic), that many issues reside in the type of video, and sound card drivers and their respective updates. Yet I agree with Nihil&Co regarding your OS. I think windoze ME is a dog with fleas.

I would update all associated drivers before I trashed my OS, just to be safe. Even the latest DirectX update does not account for all gaming issues.

{P:

Edit- heheh Jezuz took me four years to post 500 times thank god I am not as much of a whore as I tought. ROFLMAO

DBL Edit: Just realized you mentioned the word "Demo" in your post, demos often are buggy as hell. One of the mistakes I have made in the past is thinking that PC Gamer disks were ok................ PC gamer disks are worse than a cement dump in a friends toilet....... Flush..flush..flushhhhhhhhhhh........ make an excuse to leave your friends house in a hurry. hehe
    Get some good religion from Bad Religion.

T3h Ch3F

Damit

Damnit Nihil you type faster than I do!

Hi Galdron I agree that this is not likely to be an operating system issue, or even DirectX.

The reason I say that, is that most games that I have seen will do a check first and warn you that you don't have what is required. Mind you I don't know what would happen with demo and pirate versions?

Some games won't work with particular sound cards or video cards, trouble is you have generally bought them before you find that out from some help file on the CD

For gaming I would prefer Win98SE, and for a general OS Windows 2000 over Windows ME. You have to be cautious of Windows 2000 though as it has limited DOS support, and was not intended for gaming.

Another consideration with older games is they attempt to interrogate the hardware directly (sound and video card) and calibrate themselves accordingly. Windows 2000 and XP do not permit direct hardware access, so these games won't work.

As you can imagine, people in my age group tend to play older games the solution is to dual boot Win98SE and WinXP

T3h Ch3F

I Am Old Too@@@

Greets Nihil, I always (personally) discount DirectX as an issue regarding games, as is has, and hopefully always will be an incremental product, as long as you realize the version, there should not be an issue.

If you ignore the promt and reinstall an older version (older games), you will encounter conflicts. As with any driver.

It is easily overlooked with the exitement of a new challenge. lol

Click........Click.yes I agree to the terms of use.......click.click.............****!!!!!! lol

aha! k...now from all that i have learnt so far....which is not much.

1) Windows Me is bad. System heavy, resource hogger....not ideal for the pc at all....y did Microsoft make it in the first place???

2) I must get a dual boot Windows 98SE and Windows Xp....hmmmmm....now dat does look a gud option(btw....isnt Win98 the best OS microsoft has eva made)?

3) i shud look for updates for my drivers as ALCXSENS.SYS is associated wid the driver....hmmmmm(how do i do that)?

I ave no idea wat sound or graphics card i am using.....i dint use the comp a yr bak...hehe...

so if i ave gone wrong in all i ave said so far plzzz correct me....

thanx fr all the help....

OK Panther~ I will attempt to answer your questions. Please be aware that these are my personal opinions only and my interpretations of events.

I will use your numbering system.

1. Windows ME is not a good OS for anything but a top end system. I run several machines with it and have done so for a number of years with no problems It will go on a PII/333Mhz through to a P4/1.7Ghz with no problems. The best AMD I have tried is a 1.3Mhz Duron.

I would personally recommend 384-512Mb of RAM. I would not recommend over 512Mb unless you are dual booting, in which case restrict ME to 512Mb. There can be instability issues otherwise.

Windows ME supports DOS fully, and is the last MS OS to do that.

As a more modern OS than Windows 98, it probably has a better range of drivers for more recent hardware,

My PERSONAL view is that it was an "interim" release before XP, and that more of MS's resources were directed to Windows 2000. Remember that back then there were two distinct product lines...............the home and the office ones, and they intended to unite them as XP.

2. Yes, Windows 98SE is my personal favourite of their home operating systems.

3. Do a Google search for "Everest" software. This will tell you what you have in your machine. Otherwise you will have to open the case and take a look.

If you go into <control panel> <system> and <hardware> you might just be able to find out enough.

Thanx nihil....you have cleared most of my doubts.

But do you still think that having dual boot with Win98SE and WinXP is the best option I now have?
    My computer is quite new. I bought it in Nov 2004 so i guess that the grphics and sound cards are good and new.

Suppose I go in fr dual boot, should i upgrade my RAM to 512 Mb? I currently have 256 Mb only.

Thanx.