format/partition

Thread: format/partition

format/partition

Regarding the problem in my thread ---------> here

Iv given up on trying to fix it, I keep writing down new error messages to post so I can get some help and everytime I reboot I seem to get another message.

I have 2 hard drives (c: & d I have reformatted c: and reinstalled windows xp on it. My second drive (d was usually used for storage (200 gig drive) I will reformat that too, but I want to know the proper way to go about this as when I reformat I want to partition it too.
    As I said, its 200 gigs and I want to leave the majority of it on a partition for windows storage, I'd also like to make 2 additional partitions (one for a *nix OS and one for a MAC OS).
    when I reboot with a cd and press F2 it says to choose the partition I want to change and I have the c: and d: drives to choose from and it says to press 'c' to create a new partition in that drive, but pressing 'c' doesn't work.

Iv looked into this and have tried running 'fdisk' from the command prompt, but it says that 'fdisk' is not recognized as an internal or external command'.

Any suggestions??
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

have you tried using a windows Me boot disk.?
    that's what i use when Windows won't play nice..

And why don't you just install the different 0s onto just the 200gig drive, and use the other for storage.?
    or just set the 200gig up so that you got roughly 50gig for each operatin system..
    Install a BootLoader, that way you can choose witch one you want to use..

cheers
    f2b:.

BANNED
    You have XP so use the XP utility for partitioning. Here's some help and if you need more just say so.
    http://www.d-silence.com/feature.php?id=246

Administrtive tools are under performance and maintnence in the control panel if you use the XP setup instead of the classic view.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

IcSilk

muert0 is on the mark and I donít remember if the standard fdisk can handle 200gb. Seems to me that I had to download an updated version.

Do you have the disk that came with that 200gb HDD? If so it will have the tools on it to do the job as well. Also, when you install Linux you will also have the opportunity to use some the their tools.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

I followed the link in Muert0's post - Cheers, mate and all others who respond - and I have partitioned the 200g drive into 3 partitions - (1) 100 gig for windows storage (formatting as I type) (2) 50 gig for a *nix OS and (3) 50 gig for MAC OS. I have left (2) and (3) unformatted for now, as Im not so sure about this and didn't want them to be windows formatted.

I hope this was correct thing to do. Im now going to the Tuts sections and learn about installing MAC's and *nix's, I was just wondering if there is anything else I should know or be aware of that may not be mentioned in any documentations, before I proceed.

Again, thanks to all respondents ..................
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

Done good mate. When it's time to install linux the format will be done then and most likely the same for Mac. Install and enjoy.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

Thanks again to all who helped me and attempted to help me through my last two problems - I really appreciate it all ---- Viva Antionline!!!!

may the *nix be with you young SkyWalker..
    there are many challenges ahead so go young Walker and quench that thirst for knowledge in the Almighty Tutorial World..

Me been watching Star Wars