Thread: LaserJet/Inkjet Printer?

LaserJet/Inkjet Printer?

In the past I've had a lot of problem with inkjet printers, due to lack of usage the ink gets clogged up, therefore, causing the printer to cease to work. Now I'm going to buy a new printer but instead of just going out and getting a printer that looks cool and is expensive (My current printer, which no longer works, cost me $500 [3-in-one]), I want to do some research, and this seems like a good start (apart from google, but I want some personal opinions also, as they are more valuable for me). Here are my questions

1.) Will buying a laserjet printer aid in removing the clogging problems?
    2.) What are the advantages/disadvantages to a LaserJet printer in comparision to an InkJet?
    3.) What printer models and/or companies (e.g. Hewlett Packard) would you recommend. Due to past experiences please do not include Canon, no matter how many times it would be recommended to me, I won't buy it.
    4.) Any other opinions regarding printers you might have, I can use everything Thank You

EDIT: 5.) Which printer models provide more ink economy
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

I want to help but cant answer all your problems as I dont print. Im not a printing guru by any means so dont shark me if my info is wrong or crappy First thought right off the bat is dont go Lexmark I hate there printers and on the few times I was forced to call tech support the few techs I got didnt even understand the concept of connecting it via a cross over cable to config it. I would asume that switching to laser would solve your problems due to the concept of how it works, the ink for ink jets can dry out. Laser ink is a powder, and thus cant dry out. I dont know what happens to unused laser ink if its been sitting for a while because all the printers I've used are network printers whare the bloody thing prints non stop 9-5. I would go with an HP as they've been tested and have seen them in action non stop. Most of these would be for a medium sized company. If you just need black and white I would go with a low end printer 'For business' use. If your just use it for home printing you could get one with a low PPM (pages per miniut) as you would have time to wait and wont be ramming it with print jobs. You might have to pay a bit more for them but I would think you get what you pay for. All the ones I've used/worked on eather are way to much money or are old and no longer sold, or enterprise grade machines. I hope this helps a little or another AO member can hit you with bettr or more specific info.
    meh. -ech0.

Hi ech0, Thank you, I really appreciate your opinions and quick reply.

First, thanks for the heads up on lexmark printers, was already looking at a lexmark printer on newegg.com
    Apparantly, they don't seem to sell All-in-one laserjet printers (if you know of any please, do tell). So basically, I'm thinking about buying a InkJet printer, since I don't want to have to buy a printer, a scanner and a fax, all seperatly. I would also go with HP, I, (till now) haven't had any real issues with it, and has this specific printer's ink lasts a long time (1st one lasted me about 5-6 months, printer high-quality pictures and long essays).

Finally, what are your opinions on "brother", the printer company?
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Hi Raion

I use the HP psc 750 3 in one, and have been using it for 2 years, the cartridges are okay (Colour as well as Black ink), I am a very frugal printer when it comes to printing as the cartridges cost just as much as the printer did initially well over time maybe

Not sure what your OS is, but this link is for Linux http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_pr...num=HP-PSC_750

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...35-295845.html

Unfortunatley this model is discontinued but HP shows alternatives.

I have had good luck with the HP products, and as they are huge there is no problem finding cheap cartridges or recycled ones.
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Hi Dalek, after looking at the psc 750 and it's reccomendations, they don't have fax, which I need. Other than that, I really like it.

I really dont have any thoughts about brother. The one I used in an office never had a problem, all I did is set the workstations to use it as a network printer. Other then that I didnt even print to it, heh i was a tech not a clerk
    meh. -ech0.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Laser only comes into its own if you are a BIG printer ............

as the toner cartridge, whilst being expensive to replace, will last a LONGGGGGG time compared to inkjet cartridges.

Check that the printer is either switched off when not in use [correctly] so as to put the heads into 'park' [keeps them from clogging up.

OR

save your prints to a file and batch print 'em
    THEN swich off again ??

I use a Lexmark X1150 - 3 in 1 it's OK, but it does tend to use the ink up quick ........[inkjet]

I like Epsom, no real tech reason, just that they have always worked well for me, but the Lex was CHEAP [£50]
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Yeah, well I prefer buying an expensive ink cartridge over large periods of time in comparision to buying cheap ink cartridges over short periods of time. But, I need a 3-in-1 and I want those copy machine style scanners added, not the paper feed ones. I'll check out the lexmark. And I agree, I saw a lexmark for $106 on newegg.com, 3-in-1