Flourescent bulbs

Thread: Flourescent bulbs

Flourescent bulbs

what causes new flourescent bulbs to like "vibrate"... I know it has something to do with the fixture... I want to know what I can do to possibly fix it.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    define 'bulbs' ?
    we [UK] call 'em tubes, as they are [generally] tubes ..........
    is it definately a fluorescent ?

and what vibration ?
    or are you confusing it with the 'flicker' caused by the AC voltage ?
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

the loss of gas from the tube can cause a "flicker" effect, both in visible light emission and just by looking at the end of the tubes.

Also, you might check the ballast on the fixture as it does go bad from time to time. If you replace the bulb and the flicker is still occuring then check ballast

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a while, light him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

yeah they're flourescent tubes... Replaced the white ones with black lights. It's definitly not the AC. We have to fixtures in our room and one is running fine and the other one is flickering. It doesn't do it right when I turn it on but starts to after 30 seconds or so.

By vibration I meant the the flickering looked like vibration almost.

Lv4, these are brand new bulbs.

EDIT: I just took the ones out of the working fixture and put them in the other one, and it has the same flickering, so I know it's something with the fixture. What should I check?
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

The ballast in the fixture will look something like this

Pull it out and replace it with the one in the working fixture... that should fix your problem. Then go down to the hardware store with the old ballast in hand and find a replacement. They should have a series of numbers on the side of it that will help you find a replacement.

This is just a guess though, and I'm not an electrician.

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a while, light him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

I'm not sure what the problem is... the one that wasn't working works properly now, and the one that seemed fine starts flickering a little bit... I don't think it's the ballast because the regular white bulbs work fine... Oh well... Hopefully it will fix itself.. I'm guessing it's just bad/old connections.

As a general rule, if you replace the tube: replace the starter (the little plug in thingy) at the same time.

It sounds as if you have two components (tube + starter) at the edges of their tolerances, which is why switching them over made a difference.

"Black lights".............do you mean UV, or IR?.............check that the starters are the recommended ones if you are using unorthodox tubes.

And they are LAMPS not "BULBS" ...................bulbs you plant in your garden

Originally posted here by nihil
    (the little plug in thingy) at the same time.
    Hi nihill,
    The plug thing is actually the starter if i am not mistaken
    If it is the bulb type which has the starter built in there is not much you can do but to replace it..If it is the other 4-6-8 foot tubes which has a seperate starter as well as a ballast i woiuld put my money on the starter which is the cheapest anyway and the main cause usually or if the tube itself is worn out it will do that because the starter tries to fire it up all the time..but i stand corrected here
    Practise what you preach.

Spot on Vanman It was the starter that I meant.................the ballast is generally in the tube fitting itself.

Thinking on it, my electrician told me that if the ballast has gone AWOL you are better off replacing the whole fitting anyway.

yeah they're flourescent tubes... Replaced the white ones with black lights. It's definitly not the AC.
    Are these like the halloween black lights? Are they name brand lights or cheap ones? I have found that black holloween lights are not very good and you can get a variety of good ones and bad ones out of the same batch.
    As a general rule, if you replace the tube: replace the starter (the little plug in thingy) at the same time.
    For the most part, we do not use "starters" here in the US anymore. Most ballast sold now are electronic and don't need the "starter"