Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CPU main panel lights went off

CPU main panel lights went off

hi guys,
    i am facing a problem with my system. When i turned on the 'CPU' the display lights on the front panel (i.e. Green and Red) just flashed on and then the lights went off. I opened the CPU and i can see the motherboard light is on and light on Lan card is also on and blinking (i.e. i think it is receving data), while the the LED on monitor is still yellow. It turns green when there is some display on the monitor. All the fans are working properly. But the front panel LEDS are not working and monitor LED is yellow. My system worked perfectly last night. My cdrom is also getting the power as the LED is blinking. Does anybody passed thru this situation ever. Can any one advice the recommended steps to diagnose the problem

Thanks
    Excuse me, is there an airport nearby large enough for a private jet to land?

I'd just say check for loose leads, and tighten when necessary,
    Other then that all i could say is that maybe your Power Supply might be on the way out.

front2back

Originally posted here by .:front2back:.
    I'd just say check for loose leads, and tighten when necessary,

Other then that all i could say is that maybe your Power Supply might be on the way out.
    front2back
    Strange cuz i can see the LEDs lit in the CPU so is this still possible that power supply is out of way

Hi mmkhan

My cdrom is also getting the power as the LED is blinking. Does anybody passed thru this situation ever. Can any one advice the recommended steps to diagnose the problem
    OK, the power supply unit may be failing, but I would look at some other things first.

Is the CD light blinking continuously? If it is, that is probably the answer...........check that you have not left a CD in it or a floppy in the 3.5" drive. It is unusual, but I have found instances of machines failing to boot because there was non-bootable media left in it. I attribute it to some peculiarity of that particular BIOS, as it did not give the usual boot failure messages.

When you turn on the power you should get a flicker of light from the green led on the PSU (power), the red led on the psu (hard drive) the 3.5" floppy drive and the CD drive. You should also get all three lights on the keyboard flicker briefly.

Does this happen?

Also, the monitor light on orange means that it is on standby, so it is not receiving a signal...............does it flicker green when you first start up?

I hope that yourself, family and friends are all well after the recent earthquake.

Originally posted here by nihil
    Hi mmkhan

OK, the power supply unit may be failing, but I would look at some other things first.

Is the CD light blinking continuously? If it is, that is probably the answer...........check that you have not left a CD in it or a floppy in the 3.5" drive. It is unusual, but I have found instances of machines failing to boot because there was non-bootable media left in it. I attribute it to some peculiarity of that particular BIOS, as it did not give the usual boot failure messages.

When you turn on the power you should get a flicker of light from the green led on the PSU (power), the red led on the psu (hard drive) the 3.5" floppy drive and the CD drive. You should also get all three lights on the keyboard flicker briefly.

Does this happen?

Also, the monitor light on orange means that it is on standby, so it is not receiving a signal...............does it flicker green when you first start up?

I hope that yourself, family and friends are all well after the recent earthquake.

there is nothing in the cdrom, yes i have also removed the hdd from the machine to check whether its burnt or not. But it was alright. Still the hdd is detached from the system.

yes i am not having the LED flickers on PSU (not a single flick) , led flickers on CD ROM and keyboard and i can also hear the fans moving inside and led on mobo also lit.

yes it turns green in the beginning and then turn orange

By the grace OF GOD we are all fine
    Thanks

Hi,

I am glad that you are all well

Please reinstall the hard drive and see what happens. The fact that it is not connected would explain the red light missing.

Whilst you are in the case, blow out all the dust and check all connections and card seatings

Please let me know what the lights do with all components installed. Also what appears on your monitor, if anything.

Originally posted here by nihil
    Hi,

I am glad that you are all well

Please reinstall the hard drive and see what happens. The fact that it is not connected would explain the red light missing.

Whilst you are in the case, blow out all the dust and check all connections and card seatings

Please let me know what the lights do with all components installed. Also what appears on your monitor, if anything.

Thanks

The same situation remains, when i connect the hard drive, no LED flicks on panel and all the parts working inside the cpu as i can hear the fans. The monitor remains blank.

I will blow out the dust etc when i go to the home currently in office

Thanks

Hmmmm.

That sounds rather like the MoBo is not getting its power, or not distributing it. The CD, 3.5", Case fans and PSU fan all get their power direct from the PSU. The CPU fan and the case LEDs come via the MoBo.

Does the hard drive light up..............you might be able to see a little green light inside it? (don't try to open it, just look through one of the gaps at the back if there are any)...........it also gets its power direct from the PSU.Please check to see if the processor (CPU) fan is running

Now, an important consideration, do you get any bleeps when you power up? if so how many? long/short? and what BIOS does your machine use. If you do not know that, can you tell me the make&model of the computer and/or motherboard?

Another test, disconnect the display from the computer and power it (the display unit) up.............you should get some sort of diagnostics menu or a "no signal" message, in any case you should get some sort of display. This will prove that your display unit is OK or not.

When you reconnected the hard disk back onto the computer, did you plug the Id cord back in the right way..

Some other options..The psu has two fuses inside it at least the ones i know so one of them could be blown..Hve you guys considered ram??This is also one of the main causes for pc,s not to start..Try your screen,s power from a serperate wall plug and if you are not sure about the screencard try the onboard one(remember to disable the add on one and change it to onboard..I don,t know why but it seems like ram to me
    Practise what you preach.