Thread: Tri-booting

Question Tri-booting

I know there has been extensive tuts written on OS's, Iv browsed through some of them, but I write this so I can get answers that are situation specific.

I have 2 harddrives - (1) 9.5gb and (2) 200gb - (1) has Windows XP's system and utils etc. (2) is partitioned into 3 parts. - ( d: ) 100gb for windows file and folder storage, ( g: ) 50gb unformatted, wanted to hold a *nix OS and ( h: ) 50gb unformatted, wanted to hold MAC OS.

(I have had a recent problem that would have caused me to lose all my files and data if not for backing it all up, and since I have decided to learn as much about different OS's as possible).

At the moment Im DLing Linux slackware installation CD's and they're DLing to a folder in ( d: ).

I'm assuming that once I start to install slackware it will ask me what partition to put it on. Is this correct??
    Also, I was reading about slackware and it said that it needed to be installed on a FAT32 formatted partition. I went to Admin. Tools --> Computer Management --> Disk Management and when I right click on one of the unformatted partitions and click format it only gives me the option for NTFS formatting.

My knowledge is internet and software based, and I have only a 'survival and minor maintenence' knowledge of OS's and hardware.
    I'm really not sure how to go about meeting my desired end result and I was hoping that given the above situation if someone could step-by-step me through this so I don't muck anything up.

Pre-thanks to all respondents...................
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

I'm assuming that once I start to install slackware it will ask me what partition to put it on. Is this correct??
    Also, I was reading about slackware and it said that it needed to be installed on a FAT32 formatted partition. I went to Admin. Tools --> Computer Management --> Disk Management and when I right click on one of the unformatted partitions and click format it only gives me the option for NTFS formatting.
    Well there's your prob mate, you need to format the drive so that all the partitions are Fat32.
    you can still install XP on fat32 so your fine with that partition, and the nix partition should work on the 2nd partition of fat32.
    I'm not sure about the MacOs cause i've never installed nor used a Mac before.

Others might be able to give you more detailed information.

cheers
    f2b

Hey Hey,

I'd start out from scratch again if you aren't too attached to your current install.

You'll most likely need your small disk for the OS X install (unless you've found another guide... last I saw you needed a dedicated disk for it)..

I'd make the cuts like this

200GB
    --> XP Operating System (10GB)
    --> Programs/Apps (30GB)
    --> Documents (MP3s, Files that you'll use in any OS.. Storage basically) (50GB)
    --> Swap (Double your RAM)
    --> Linux --> (20GB Less RAM)

There's your first 100GB gone... then OS X on the 9 and whatever you want with the rest.

Do all this using fdisk, Partition Magic, Disk Druid... whichever.

Also format the drives... I'm not sure about this slackware fat32 thing.. you'll prolly want to go ext2 or ext3... or reiserfs... The SWAP will be formatted as SWAP obviously (I haven't done a slack install in ages but I'd assume you can have it properly formated during the install)... The documents directory would be fat32 (something readable by all) and the XP OS/Programs will be NTFS...

If you've never done the OS X install.. or you're looking for help... there's a way to do it without the pain in the ass Linux method... you can check it out at http://www.tech-recipes.com/apple_mac_tips964.html

Other than that.. just get messy and have fun....

Let us know when you run into problems..

Peace
    HT

.:front2back:. , HTRegz - thanks for the posts - Im going to get on with trying to sort all this out, I'll let you know how I did

Until then, any other advice or tips are always welcome - I'm a learner ....
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    One simple tip would be to install XP first. This will allow you to use the nifty startup menu that comes with XP whenever you boot. It will ask you to pick which OS you want to load from a DOSish menu each time you boot.

Now I know this allows the evil mean M$ manage your OS space (sorta) but it's a solid solution to those who chose to take this horrible road of multi-OS booting.

Me? I go with VMWare. If I bust up an installed OS, right click, delete, start over. No pain, no mess.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

What am I missing??... You can now install a Mac OS on normal PC hardware?

Any of the above solutions would work. I've become quite a fan of vmware though. Just make sure you have a lot of ram to work with. Otherwise... the systems are slooooooowww.

If your system is not up to spec, then tri booting should be fine.

'm assuming that once I start to install slackware it will ask me what partition to put it on. Is this correct??
    Also, I was reading about slackware and it said that it needed to be installed on a FAT32 formatted partition.
    The install cd should format it for you. You don't have to use the windows disk management tools. The install utility should do it for you. Just make sure you don't overwrite your ntfs partition that win xp is currently installed on.

As for the slackware install... You don't want to use fat32. I'm not sure where you read that... You'll want to use fat32 on a partition to share data between the distributions. The slackware install itself should be on a ext2/ext3 or reiserfs filesystem.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Psssst. Phissssshy....

http://developer.apple.com/darwin/

Keep in mind, this is the kernel and will not give you the fancy smancy MAC skin. There are emulators available for this purpose elsewhere.

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Originally posted here by thehorse13
    Psssst. Phissssshy....

http://developer.apple.com/darwin/

Keep in mind, this is the kernel and will not give you the fancy smancy MAC skin. There are emulators available for this purpose elsewhere.

Hey Hey,

Why even go that way when you can have the whole thing... All you need is a copy of OS X x86... it's simple enough to come by, albeit not necessarily legal... I have seen full blown OS X running PCs with standard hardware though...

The link that I posted will allow you to set it up using just Windows. and there is a much longer, more complicated method of doing so using Linux.

Peace,
    HT