wups.dll maybe causing problems, not sure, advice needed

Thread: wups.dll maybe causing problems, not sure, advice needed

wups.dll maybe causing problems, not sure, advice needed

I'm having the following problem...when i scan with spysweeper from webroot it stops at this file windows/system32/wups.dll and my drive is sounding like an old record that keeps hanging. It's making the sound it's still scanning and it doesn't want to quit eventhough Spysweeper has stopped for more then an hour now.

I have had this problem before and when i restarted it was gone but it seems i can't use spysweeper because it causes this strange problem, how can i fix this and what is the problem?

Everything else works, other programs can scan the drive but i don't know if they are effective if this problem is occuring and surfing the net isn't a problem as well but it's very annoying to hear your drive doing things it isn't supposed to be doing and spysweeper can't get passed windows/system32/wups.dll

Advice needed guys because i am totally clueless.

Just Another Geek
    my drive is sounding like an old record that keeps hanging.
    Sounds like your drive has some bad sectors on it.. Try using chkdsk to see if there are any.
    If it's an IDE drive and chkdsk finds some bad sectors replace the drive a.s.a.p.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Not sure if this is related but whenever my version of Microsoft Antispyware Beta 1 would try to scan the MVPS HOSTS file which is larger then your default HOSTS file the scan would freeze up and I would have to close the program, eventually I found out that just prior to scanning the system to rename the HOSTS file with the file extension .txt (will not mess it up) this allows the scan to bypass the HOSTS file.

If you do this remember to rename the HOSTS file back to original without the .txt extension.

PS: the scan would make the same funny reving noise just prior to freezing, almost like trying to punch through something.

The file for the HOSTS file is in the same ballpark as the file you referenced for spysweeper

Windows\System32\drivers\etc

The current MVSP HOSTS file is approx 300kb, may be larger by now, it's been awhile since I updated.
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

I made cksdsk run and it didn't report anything, the window closed actually without any reports so i presume there was nothing worth reporting.

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by edzor
    I made cksdsk run and it didn't report anything, the window closed actually without any reports so i presume there was nothing worth reporting.
    Please note that chkdsk is a console program.. Open a cmd prompt and try again.. Or right-click on your C: drive in "My Computer", Select "Properties". On the Tab "Tools" you'll find Error-Checking.. It's the same program only with a GUI
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.