Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Little bit of Liux help over here please!

Re: Little bit of Liux help over here please!

Originally posted here by Nokia
    Hi all,

What advantage(s) if any does a UNIX system have over LINUX one?

Thanks for you help guys/gals!
    One sec..........Nokia what does he mean by LINUX one?

In terms of security there are some advantages.

I think it was supposed to be 'over a Linux one'

UNIX only has maybe support [if you're thinking Solaris because if you're thinking SCO you might as well rot in a dark, cold and lonely place] that could excell although there are plenty of commercial offerings for Linux support nowadays [RedHat and Novell/SUSE anyone? ]

Solaris is made for SPARC [despite Sol x86 and OpenSolaris, that's it's main arch] so it will work flawlessly on those systems. Sometimes that kind of a union between OS and hardware is hard to find [Apple had it for desktops but now they're switching to x86 so there might be some issues there, we'll see]

As for the first question I'm thinking, obviously, ext2 and ext3 as well since those are the 'original' Linux filesystems [but if that question is actually worded like that from the interviewer than your brother should consider finding a different place of employment].

Yes, the only difference as already pointed out is that ext3 is journaled. All other technical details are the same [and for some interesting facts in general and a bit of history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems]

Cheers!
    /\\

Originally posted here by HTRegz
    I never said they don't exist... I said I never hear people talking about them.. (Read: They aren't used)...
    let me rephrase my original question.

just because you don't hear about people using them doesn't mean they aren't used.

the person asking the original question was a recruiter guy, an idiot perhaps.

how the **** is he going to know what raid is and how it's being used.

just look at how he phrased the questions in the first place.
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

Originally posted here by (V)/\><
    let me rephrase my original question.

just because you don't hear about people using them doesn't mean they aren't used.

the person asking the original question was a recruiter guy, an idiot perhaps.

how the **** is he going to know what raid is and how it's being used.

just look at how he phrased the questions in the first place.
    I dunno about where your from but here most of the IT recruiters (and I've dealt with a good number of them in the last couple months) have some IT background... The question may be poorly worded but that's about it.... your response that it's more likely RAID than EXT makes you look like the idiot.

Peace,
    HT

you don't know what it's like where i'm from?

well Mr. Know-It-All, let me tell you about where i'm from.

it recruiters have no technical background. being able to use excel doesn't count in this context. at least the ones i've been dealing with over the last few years have none. they have a piece of paper in front of them which has keywords one it that they had faxed over by the company that's looking for a person with a certain skillset. you've probably not been in the real world long if you think otherwise.

your response that it's more likely RAID than EXT makes you look like the idiot
    Read: i could be showing...

there's a difference between ignorance and idiocy. it's the extented filesystem version three, not level three. you have raid levels. while that's not exactly showing complete ignorance, it's not idiotic. i like to call it deductive reasoning.

Peace,
    M
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

Hey, all, thanks a bunch for the help guys I would not have thought of the ext2/3 but then I dont know much about linux!

I will let you know how it goes and what the question did mean!

Thanks again, helped us heaps!

// !mitationRust. i think he means a linux client???

Well, he got the job, the linux qestion was in relation to ext2 and ext3 - of course he was an expert as of last night! Thanks on that one guys - i wasnt much help to him!!

He got asked one question he couldnt answer though - on a unix platform what do 0 5 3 3 mean/relate to (or something alongs them lines)!

Stuffy gits on more money than me now and he has just left school!

**nokia thinks of going back to school**

** nokia forgets that idea and goes to pub!**

Originally posted here by Nokia
    Well, he got the job, the linux qestion was in relation to ext2 and ext3 - of course he was an expert as of last night! Thanks on that one guys - i wasnt much help to him!!

He got asked one question he couldnt answer though - on a unix platform what do 0 5 3 3 mean/relate to (or something alongs them lines)!

Stuffy gits on more money than me now and he has just left school!

**nokia thinks of going back to school**

** nokia forgets that idea and goes to pub!**
    they mean the same as they do on a Linux system.

file attributes! `chmod 0755 file` seem familiar at all?

normally you don't use the most significant bits i suppose. they are for setuid, setgid and the sticky bit.

the other three groups of three bits are used for permissions for the owner of the file, other users in the same group as the owner and the last, for users not in the same group as the owner.