Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NSA Free Stuff: Information Assurance Awareness Toolkit

King Tutorial-ankhamun

NSA Free Stuff: Information Assurance Awareness Toolkit

Hi All, Ponyboy turned me on to the fact you can get some pretty cool stuff free from the NSA. While I was searching around I found a cool info pack you can get from them. It comes in a blue box with the NSA logo on it, and while some of the info in it may be fluff to some of us it's still pretty cool looking on your reference shelf.
    Here is the description from the site:
    Awareness Toolkit
    To enhance awareness and encourage Information Assurance (IA) education and training within the Federal Government, the members of the National Information Assurance Education and Training Program (NIETP) developed the idea of a "tool kit," consisting of appropriate IA information. Designed with your special needs in mind, the tool kit may contain items such as CDs, videos, and brochures and pamphlets. All items are designed to assist IAD customers in fostering an awareness of IA issues. The simplicity of the tool kit makes it very useful in government, education, training and awareness programs.
    The tool kits are tailored to the customer, so a specific list of contents is not available. If you are interested in obtaining a toolkit, contact the NIETP or email nietptoolkit@nsa.gov.

More info at:
    http://www.nsa.gov/ia/academia/aa.cfm?MenuID=10.1.1

Mine came with two DVDs and 7 CD on multiple topics like basic web security, locking down Windows and Unix boxes. The CDs seem to contain Shockwave flash presentations. Pretty cool for free.

Isn't that nifty. I just called and placed an order for one too.

Thanks for the heads up!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hey, thanks, Geek. Looks like some interesting stuff.

Cool - thanks much Irongeek. Just ordered mine. They wanted to know my blood-type though. I told them I'm an auditor and don't have blood anymore, just a thick black ichor.
    \"We\'re the middle children of history.... no purpose or place. We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We\'ve all been raised by television to believe that one day we\'ll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won\'t. And we\'re learning slowly that fact. And we\'re very, very pissed off.\" - Tyler (Brad Pitt) Fight Club.

I had to request one by email, the phone number came back as being disconnected or no longer in service. Hope they check their email....

Irongeek, how long did it take to get?
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    About a week I think.

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    I ordered one over the phone the other day - when this was originally posted. She said she had received tons of orders and that they were sort of backed up and out of several of the items. However, even with them being out of the boxes and some of the items, she said it would only be about two weeks at the longest. Also, unless you have or are ordering for a company they won't be able to process your order.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

Thanks for letting me know about the company requirement. I'm contacting them in the morning to get mine sent out.

I'm generally a bit sceptical of government organizations, from seeing all their red-tape as I was growing up (army brat) - but given that the NSA's whole goal is information protection and interception, I'm interested to see what materials they provide.

--Plow
    --Plow

I love it. I had to call back to provide some additional information, and the person there - probably all of them, answer with the extension and no id. I started laughing - I almost said "The phoenix flys at noon with two hamburgers half eaten and winking to the left." Of course what else would I expect... it's just funny to hear that even at a public information disclosure outlet.
    \"We\'re the middle children of history.... no purpose or place. We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We\'ve all been raised by television to believe that one day we\'ll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won\'t. And we\'re learning slowly that fact. And we\'re very, very pissed off.\" - Tyler (Brad Pitt) Fight Club.

Very neat! Sent an email. Thank you!
    Definitions: Hacker vs. Cracker
    Gentoo Linux user, which probably says a lot about me..
    AGA member 14460 || KGS : Trevoke and games archived