Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: NSA Free Stuff: Information Assurance Awareness Toolkit

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    The little blue box contains information that's already all over the net. Again, all you are doing is helping out the NSA conduct a study.

Shrekkie, I've already setup a deal to trade you to an angry prison gang for the small price of 3 cigarettes.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

I haven't received email or box. Le sigh.
    Definitions: Hacker vs. Cracker
    Gentoo Linux user, which probably says a lot about me..
    AGA member 14460 || KGS : Trevoke and games archived

Got mine today. Since I work in .edu, it was a slam dunk. I'll be reviewing the material over the next few weeks. Looks like some pretty cool stuff. It may be available all over the net, but it's nice to have it in one package. I suspect that the packages may be different based on your employer. Corporate and business customers get a different mix, I suspect, than education.

I definitely have use for the materials in the organization, I think.

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    hey rapier, if you find anything of interest do u mind sharing what it is on here... since i didnt get one im just curious as to what it is! thanx bye.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

My package included Information Assurance Policy & Technology (CD); Cyber Protect Interactive Training Exercise (CD); Web Security Web-Based Training (CD); Active Defense, An Executives Guide to Information Assurance (CD); Windows 2000 System Security (CD); UNIX Security for System Administrators (CD); SAIPR - System Administrator Incident Preparation & Response for UNIX (CD); Database Security Web-based Training (CD); Information Assurance Compilation Series (2 DVD); two pamphlets for the NIATEC and ISSE programs.

Your package may have different materials. It is mostly educational, awareness training and such. From a security administrator perspective, this is a huge resource for an IT security awareness program. A little of it seems a bit dated, but if it sticks to core issues and good practices, it should still be worth looking at and using.

Much of the material is DOD, DISA from the last few years, and is unclassified. Unclassified doesn't necessarily mean it can be given to foriegn nationals. That is probably why it wasn't given to some of you all. Also, I think the role you play in the organization had a lot to do with the distribution, as did budget and resources. They wanted to make sure they put the materials in the hands of those who will make use of it.

Some of the CD-base training materials use Flash. Dangitanyway!

Then, there's TH13's thought that it is an information gathering thing. Maybe. They've had me for many years anyway, so this additional won't make beans.

I also had to sign and return a receipt form. Don't think I will be re-distributing any of this. But, as horse said, much of this is already on the net in other forms.

Hello all-

Just got my box and autograph from Desiree before the Thanksgiving holiday. I have not installed anything just yet because I am still marvelling at the box - heh. Actually some other auditors, including our fraud investigator saw my new toys and the first thing out of her mouth "What - they couldn't just send that crap in an envelope - I wonder how much THAT cost the taxpayers?!?" I told her she was jealous because I provided information to the government about us before she did and got some nifty DVDs in exchange.

To foster TH13's line of thought - and this actually happened - my manager was curious to know if the NSA would install anything on our systems to provide more information to the NSA than we would want?!? They wouldn't DO THAT would they? So I asked to install it on her workstations to see what happens. BTW - TH13 is correct, I think I have seen heard/seen some of this stuff before (will have to wait to confirm until my manager lets me install it - heh) but then we wouldn't get the $3,000 dollar box, a letter from Desiree and someone to put all that crap together for us.

Mine had a coloring book in it too, titled "Your Government and You - Privacy is for Those with Something to Hide - You Don't Have Something to Hide Now - DO YOU?!?"- Yes it was quite a long title - but I am staying in the lines this time when coloring!... Well mostly.

Actually - all kidding aside, I had best re-ask my manager if it is okay to check out the media - you know - just because... I still liked to get paid.
    \"We\'re the middle children of history.... no purpose or place. We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We\'ve all been raised by television to believe that one day we\'ll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won\'t. And we\'re learning slowly that fact. And we\'re very, very pissed off.\" - Tyler (Brad Pitt) Fight Club.

So far, nothing wants to be installed. However, some of the CD's want you to have flash installed so they can run.

The DVD has some pretty cornball videos, though! What a hoot! Dang, I didn't get the coloring book. Maybe that is reserved for the CPAs.

YMMV.

Well, I had remained without any word since Nov. 9th, so I sent the lady an email yesterday, and I got a reply saying that she was sorry for the long delay, and that the stuff was being sent...
    So keep your fingers crossed for me

I got the contractor's toolkit this morning. The box is pretty and blue and has a nice NSA logo and a stylized eagle.. And it was also not big enough for all the stuff they put in it!
    Granted, it's all 4-5 years old and I got two samples of one of the CDs, but it's still a cool way to organize all that knowledge.