Thread: Titlefight: Sony Rootkit vs The Warden

Titlefight: Sony Rootkit vs The Warden

This is just too funny not to post.

http://www.theregister.com/2005/11/04/secfocus_wow_bot/

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Edit : Never mind the below I didnt see it had already been discussed . DAmn it work keeps getting in the way of the intersting things in life.

For a good description and on how to find a root kit this blog by the man himself Mark Russinoviche is very interesting. :

http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/200...al-rights.html

Last week when I was testing the latest version of RootkitRevealer (RKR) I ran a scan on one of my systems and was shocked to see evidence of a rootkit. Rootkits are cloaking technologies that hide files, Registry keys, and other system objects from diagnostic and security software, and they are usually employed by malware attempting to keep their implementation hidden (see my “Unearthing Rootkits” article from thre June issue of Windows IT Pro Magazine for more information on rootkits). The RKR results window reported a hidden directory, several hidden device drivers, and a hidden application:

End quote.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

Hey, the more we keep this in the radar, the less likely it will be that we are caught unawares when some script kiddie figures out an exploit that leverages the Sony rootkit.

Damn Sony BMG and First4 to heck!

I've been going through my CD collection looking for Sony labels. Whew! none! Still ...

EDIT:

Wait a minute, wasn't it Michael Jackson who said Sony was the Devil? Or, someone at Sony was the Devil? Something like that? Now we KNOW!

Hey Maestr0 I do like the humour!

So we now have a situation where gaming cheats will be pirating Sony's anti piracy software!!!!!

Priceless!

Regal Making Handler
    Originally posted here by nihil
    Hey Maestr0 I do like the humour!

So we now have a situation where gaming cheats will be pirating Sony's anti piracy software!!!!!

Priceless!
    It would be hysterical................................. If it was not such a fecking big security issue.

On this issue.

Wait, out.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Hi jinxy we fully appreciate the potential security issues, it is just that Maestro and I were just struck by the irony of it

One thing that I have never fully understood is how this stuff protects against serious commercial piracy?

Decloacking ALLEGEDLY released BUT:

QUOTE:

Mark Russinovich, chief software architect for Winternals Software, today published further research into Sony's XCP copy protection software that discusses this patch problem and raises new privacy concerns about the product. The patch makes XCP visible to system tools and antivirus products and to Windows system tools.

Russinovich said that a design flaw in Sony's patch theoretically could cause a computer to crash as the software was installed. Though the risk of such an occurrence was small, Russinovich said that the problem was a further mark against Sony's reputation. "It's obvious that whoever's written this doesn't have all that much experience in writing drivers for Windows," he said in an interview Friday.

ENDQUOTE (From Yahoo! News http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/2005...pcworld/123438)

Here's the catch: One tire manufacturer decides to spread spikes all over the roads of the world and woe be it to any foolish driver driving over them. The world goes on protest (as there is no antigravity expressway yet) and the same manufacturer sends in the necessary tirejacks--except that it could cause you to be crushed by the car while you're trying to remove the flat tires using those same bloody jacks. MIGHT AS WELL FORGET ABOUT GETTING TIRES FROM THAT MANUFACTURER, right?

Conclusion: Maybe Sony deserves a worldwide boycott of all of its products--on the assumtion that if it did dare impant malicious codes into its wares that have greater damaging effects than it intended to thwart piracy, may it not be possible that it has already embedded wi-fi transmitters into all of its handycams so that a comprehensive database of our videographs have already been compiled by that corporation? Oh, COME ON yOU BIG BROTHER!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum!