Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Identifying myself in a network?

Elite Hacker
    Originally posted here by thehorse13
    OK donkey, your cable modem is prolly in bridge mode. If this is the case, then you will not see the hop.

Also, you can get your cable modem IP addys by simply logging into the device or, look at the WAN side of your SOHO router, this will give you the "internal" interface of your cable modem. Then go to a site like whatismyip.com and it will give you the "external" addy of the cable modem. My guess is that you're going to see that the external IP of the cable modem will show up as the WAN interface on your SOHO router.

Stop hogging up all the stupid.

--TH13
    I'm confused. Would someone clear some things up by answering a bunch of questions?

1. See the question about answering questions above.

If I do a ping sweep of 10.10.0.1-255, I get a bunch of cable modems reported as alive.

2. The 10.10.0.x address would be the cable modem's "external" interface wouldn't it?

3. I shouldn't be able to hit their internal interface which either goes to a PC or a switch/hub/router right (reenforcing that it's the external interface)?

4. What is bridge mode?

5. (referring to my cable modem being in bridge mode) Does that just mean the external and internal interfaces of the modem are bridged so everything basically goes right through like it's not there?

6. Do I even have a 10.10.0.x IP address?

(my ideas about question 6) I would assume I do since I can see what hosts are up on a 10.10.0.x network and that's supposed to be unroutable from the internet.

7. If I do have a 10.10.0.x IP address and my assumptions about bridge mode are correct, wouldn't a portscan of my 10.10.0.x IP address report the same ports open as a portscan of my Internet IP addy?

Any light anyone can shed on these questions would be appreciated. And TheHorse13, we know I'm stupid now, so try and just answer the questions without saying it too much .

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    2. The 10.10.0.x address would be the cable modem's "external" interface wouldn't it?
    Didn't I tell you to stop hogging up all the stupid?

Please see RFC1918 to see why this can't possibly be so.
    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1918.html

4. What is bridge mode?
    http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=Wha...top&fl=0&x=wrt

Any light anyone can shed on these questions would be appreciated.
    Please see all the answers to your questions in my previous posts.

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden