Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cable Internet...Network Mapping

Cable Internet...Network Mapping

I have cable Internet in my House, I have some doubts which people here I belive can clarify

1. Is the static IP given is public?
    2. What is the architecture followed in cable Internet connection?
    3. How do I map the network I belong to?

These questions are for my understanding.

Thanking you all

1. Is the static IP given is public?
    Yes, it should be.
    2. What is the architecture followed in cable Internet connection?
    DOCSIS - Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification
    That might not be a great idea, they might think it funny to set your DHCP lease time to 300 seconds and force ip address change each time Oh, wait you have a static ip you don't have to worry about that.

Seriously scan their network at your own risk, it's THEIR network.

If it is public IP I will be able to VPN into it and back from it?
    What is the general network architecture used in cable internet?

Maybe these will help you on your way to seek knowledge

Cisco explains 1

Cisco explains 2

If you need to find out more regarding network architecture and cable etc.. Use the allmighty GooGle ...

C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

I know as far as network mapping goes, you won't be able to see your neighbors and their IP addresses and things. For shits and giggles, I attempted to be passive and see if I could see other traffic, since as my understanding goes, cable modems are just neighborhood LANs hooked up to a WAN at the cable box. I know comcast has it so your prohibited from making yourself passive unless you carve up your surfboard modem which is oh so against the rules. If you have comcast I can help you with one network detail and that is that there are only 2 DNS servers and they are located in colorado. As far as the actual routing topography and their gateways, not sure at all. If your on comcast, I would also recommend writing down a couple free DNS servers and sticking it by your computer, since they had a pretty nasty DNS crash in the last year or so. Took a couple days to iron it all out.

Originally posted here by anban
    If it is public IP I will be able to VPN into it and back from it?
    What is the general network architecture used in cable internet?
    ive used cable at a couple locations to set up vpn tunnels...it works great. you shouldn't have any problem.

as far as mapping the network you belong to...never **** where you sleep!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    Theirs a program called cheops which will give you a visual layout look of the target network. Download the program from here
    www.marko.net/cheops

AO Senior Cow-beller
    VPN: it depends on what ports and traffic types they allow. Adelphia has blocked tcp/80 and tcp/443 for home users (so I hear...not that I would *EVER* dream of running a Web Server over my home service line.) It depends on if you are using a standard VPN service and ports that they would anticipate and block.

Port knocking might help with this...might also be easily defeated if they block any of your knocking ports.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

I think it more depends how big of *****s your Cable company are. Read your Terms of Service. I'm not sure what ports get filtered on my connection, but I've run webservers, ssh, microsoft vpn and IPSec vpns over it no problem. In fact, I don't think I've ever hit a roadblock yet with my packets. The only thing that ever screwed me was the fact that I have to upgrade to a business account and pay $25 more for a static IP, which states it can change. I'd try to test the waters by opening up the port for your vpn without it running and then have a friend ping it. It goes thru, your golden, if not then change the port. If your stuck with DHCP, get yourself a DynDNS account and have your router or computer automatically update it for you whenever it changes. You'll get a decent result. Not fantastic, but decent.

topology..... try looking up add drop multiplexers and the switched digital higherachy (SDH) nortel networks would be a good place to start, you'll see that it ain't just one type but a numer of different types, typical bus networks upto the muxes and similar to token ring networks as it is dropped on to the fibre part of the network (ADM).

As for ip address unless you pay extra you get one pooled and leesed from the dns of your service provider. this is accompanied with the docsis.md5 this specifies your bandwidth 1mb 2mb and so on.

i rememeber quite some time ago when it was 512 where you could specify your own bandwidth and uncap the cable modem by uploading your own docsis.md5 to your cablemodem rather than retrieving it from the service provider.

as for mapping network drives. right click my computer select map drive. add computername or \\ipaddress\sharename and select drive letter you wish to assign it to.

either that or open cmd (command prompt) at prompt type >net view \\(ipaddress)192.168.4.2

this will list all the share names.

then net use Z: \\(ipaddress)\sharename this will connect and it will be displayed my computer.