View Poll Results: Is AVG Anti-Spyware any good?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - It's top banana

4 30.77%
  • It's a very competent application

5 38.46%
  • It's sort of alright

2 15.38%
  • Not tried it

1 7.69%
  • Total waste of time

1 7.69%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How often do you view your Event Viewer?

How often do you view your Event Viewer?

I do it every morning and evening.

Just before I close down for the day, or when there is a problem.

You don't have that option?

Johnno, feel free to edit it.

#### edit

I have some remote nodes that I check as well, but only when they're online. I have antennas hooked up to a machine in another state so I can listen to the traffic from there, here at home.

Hi Rusty~ I have edited the post and moved your vote.

Yes I have the same qualification as yourself, in that I only check machines that I am actually using. I also have Win98 and Win ME boxes.

i check them every morning using dumpel re-directed to an htm doc or when ever there is a problem.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Ah once a week is good enough for me.

Im more by weekly, usually when im bored I always check it. I really dont check it as much as I should, and its the first thing I check when somethings not working or going on.
    meh. -ech0.

You're supposed to check them regularly???...so...why didn't anybody tell me

It's been checked three...maybe four times...in a year...OPPS!

I voted ' Only when stuff goes wrong! ' but ' Never ' would be closer to reality...in the very few times I have checked it was in those rare cases that there was a problem I couldn't figure out what it was and fiddle my way around to fix it.

Eg

Ok......this is a good question, but let me play devils advocate.

What is an event viewer, what does it do, and how do I find it or get to it? And....how would I use it?

Now I think I could answer this question completely, but it is possible I am wrong and don't even know it. What would your answer be to these questions?

My wife was reading over my shoulder when I was first reading this thread and then asked me what was an event viewer and I consequently was attempting to explain it to her. I even showed her but faultered in my explaination of it a bit.......she didn't comprehend what I was trying to express. (Now I realise that I will never be able to really explain it to her, but I would like a good explanation for myself.)

moxnix
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Alright, ill step up to the bar. I wont use any links or quote websites to cheat. I'll 'free style' this one.

Event viewer IMHO is a central point for checking logs about applications, warnings and errors. If a program produces errors, fails to start, or starts up the logs for that event will be kept in the application section of EV (Event Viewer). Security in security, Services in system, and maybe even antivirus info in antivirus (if there). Now to get to EV you should to start, settings, controll pannel, administration tools, EV for windows xp or 2k machines (unless xp has its start menu set to the default then its just start, controll pannel) In win95/98/me I cant remember........Im not going back there and ill know it when i see it. The information in EV will help you see what happened and work backwards towards your problem. E.g. your new norton doesnt work one day. You check and see that the real time pertection service didnt start, and why.

few. Thats what I got.
    meh. -ech0.