Network problem

Thread: Network problem

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar

Network problem

ok, let me start out with a little background. I live in an apt with 2 roomates. We all have computers running xp with SP2. we are on a network ( we have a wireless router) so that we can share pictures,files etc together. In the past we have had some problems with people jumping on our network and using it for free. So one of my roomates decided he was gonna "secure" our network. Im not positive but i believe he password protected our router so that it will only recongize traffic coming from our MAC addresses. anyway every since he did that I havent been able to "see" them on the network so I cant send or receive files from them. Well today I opened Windows Media Player ( where i have all my music) and all of my music files were gone!!! i have 8 gigs of music and it is all gone,deleted... I did a search of my computer and i cant find it anywhere! now, I did back up my music on my roomates computer so it isnt gone forever but, since I cant "see" any of them on the network I cant import it back into my media player... Any suggestions? thanx in advance.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

AOs Resident Troll
    try connecting by ip address

\\xxx.xxx.xxxx.xxx\share

Make sure you are in the same workgroup....and you may have to disable the XP firewall on the computer you are trying to connect to

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

I have his Ip address but, when I go to My network places and try and access his computer from there, it wont accept his IP address as a valid thing to connect too
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

AOs Resident Troll
    He needs a share on his machine...or your account has to be an admin account...or you need the admin password.

try \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\C$

This will either ask you for a username and password or

If you have admin access.....(you are a member of the admin group on his machine) you should be able to connect....to the root of c:\

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

SP2 Firewall Make sure the thing has not been reset on the target PC.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

I turned off the xp firewall, got admin access to his box and copied the files from his pc back to mine ( making sure to keep a copy on his pc in case this happens again!) but it was a bitch importing them,renaming them,catorgizing them again.... having to reorganize 8 gigs of music the way i want it sucks!
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted