Thread: The FBI and your rights

The FBI and your rights

Just when you thought you had rights.

The FBI's Secret Scrutiny
    In Hunt for Terrorists, Bureau Examines Records of Ordinary Americans

By Barton Gellman
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Sunday, November 6, 2005; A01

The FBI came calling in Windsor, Conn., this summer with a document marked for delivery by hand. On Matianuk Avenue, across from the tennis courts, two special agents found their man. They gave George Christian the letter, which warned him to tell no one, ever, what it said.

Under the shield and stars of the FBI crest, the letter directed Christian to surrender "all subscriber information, billing information and access logs of any person" who used a specific computer at a library branch some distance away. Christian, who manages digital records for three dozen Connecticut libraries, said in an affidavit that he configures his system for privacy. But the vendors of the software he operates said their databases can reveal the Web sites that visitors browse, the e-mail accounts they open and the books they borrow.

Christian refused to hand over those records, and his employer, Library Connection Inc., filed suit for the right to protest the FBI demand in public. The Washington Post established their identities -- still under seal in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit -- by comparing unsealed portions of the file with public records and information gleaned from people who had no knowledge of the FBI demand.

Complete letter: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...501366_pf.html
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

In Hunt for Terrorists, Bureau Examines Records of Ordinary Americans
    Hah! King George III was right after all?

I have no problems with FEDS...............except for a "romantic encounter" many years ago

I guess I did with the IRS what many people only dream of?

If you think that's gangster, get some of the DCS1000..... they won't give a physical description, but I bet it looks like a regular RJ45 cord. Remember the FBI Russian spy Robert Hanssen? On the news they said that the FBI put a box on his telephone pole for surveillance too. You know he got some of the DCS1000!

I'm so glad the FBI hasn't got any jursidiction over me

Unfortunately the AIVD ( Dutch version of FBI+CIA ) does and they suck atleast as bad as the FBI !!

I wanna bet I'm in their records atleast once or twice !
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

That is a good thing, it means you can start on Monday.........................other competitors would have to wait 3 months for a positive security vetting?

It currently looks like it..

I've heard rumours of some DDoS kids and terrorism suspects being offered a job there..

Neh.. I've been to some demonstrations and have attended some less the unconspicuous meetings and lans..
    So I'd wanna bet they have records of that.. pictures etc..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

I'm so glad the FBI hasn't got any jursidiction over me

Unfortunately the AIVD ( Dutch version of FBI+CIA ) does and they suck atleast as bad as the FBI !!

I thought we all were on some government's list(s) as soon as we signed up here!

And rights - what rights - did anyone here get the memo - the Supreme Court just revoked them all - except voting today - and it doesn't matter if you're in the US or not - they revoked them everywhere. Run for the hills Ma Barker!
    \"We\'re the middle children of history.... no purpose or place. We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We\'ve all been raised by television to believe that one day we\'ll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won\'t. And we\'re learning slowly that fact. And we\'re very, very pissed off.\" - Tyler (Brad Pitt) Fight Club.