Thread: botnets revealed

Computer Forensics

botnets revealed

Here's a good look in to botnets from the FBI (they busted some douchebag in california for running botnets)

I found this originally on beitlich's blog.

http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/cac/pr2005...Indictment.pdf
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Nice find, informationweek has an (indepth) article about the case.
    The recent arrest and 17-count indictment against 20-year-old accused hacker and botmaster Jeanson James Ancheta for both using and selling the tools to attack a number of networks, including some within the Defense Department, should be taken as a shot across the bow by anyone who reads this. Ancheta is accused of being part of a new breed of criminal hacker: not just in it for the fame--sure, he's getting his 15 minutes, although it could be more like 50 years--but rather after money. According to the charges against him, Ancheta even managed to collect nearly $60,000 by creating, spreading, and selling bots to the highest bidders. By all accounts, Ancheta is smart and motivated, and there was a market for his black-market guerrilla hacking tactics and tools. How do you stop a smart, motivated attacker from making your life miserable? Read carefully.
    Rest of the article:
    http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...g_back_cy.html <-- there

Cheers.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Hoggy, some insiders (hint, hint) tell me that the kid *might* get one year and some probation time, max.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

well i can add few nicks that worked with that guy no problem

[0ne] - hawai
    Rain - usa somewhere
    Mouse - unknown

and such hhe people that have 400 + botnes and do the same buisines
    Un Seen But Well Heard Of

Computer Forensics
    Originally posted here by thehorse13
    Hoggy, some insiders (hint, hint) tell me that the kid *might* get one year and some probation time, max.
    WHAT!? Some kid gets 400,000 hosts, sells them, uses them for DDoS'ing and compromises some federal computers in the meantime, and they are even discussing one year and probation? Sounds to me like the gov is after the plea bargain to go after the big fish in the case if they are willing to do that.

That's BS. The kid is a perp and needs to be treated like one.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Well he is being held without bond from what I understand. Going after the bigger fish is always on the minds of law enforcement. They're following the same model (it appears) as they do when tracing a drug cartel. Trade up until you've hit the source.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Computer Forensics
    Yep, makes sense, but I don't believe in plea bargaining. Torture the little ****er by sending him to a supermax until he wants to talk. Guess that's why I'll never be a cop.
    Antionline in a nutshell

Trust your Technolust

What I predict will come of this is two things. The first is that small time kiddies will be scared off from the botnet scene as they certainly will become the salad man's bitch in prison. Second, since most hard core bot masters are already running full steam ahead, we will have separation from the men and the boys.

What's discouraging is that this is a worldwide issue and even if we get a nice hammer down on this kid, there will not likely be any sort of worldwide impact. Most 3rd world nations support the activities of botnet operators when off the record.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    The judges in the UK have done it too :

Teen hacker escapes punishment
    A judge has ruled that there was no case to answer after presiding over the trial of a teenager who allegedly flooded his former employer's email system with five million messages.

The defence argued that, since the firm's email server was set up for the express purpose of receiving emails, sending a flood of unsolicited emails could not be considered an act of unauthorised modification.
    source

five MILLION
    It's starting to get ridiculous, and the only ones who get banged up over here are 80 something Grandma's who refuse to pay taxes, and the ones the police want to hold without trial ..........[reading this, you CAN see their point ]
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone