Thread: Why RedHat Enterprise 4 is UBER

Why RedHat Enterprise 4 is UBER

http://www.redhat.com/v/swf/flash_rhel4overview/

I found this a few minutes ago and realised "Why is my Rammstein MP3 talking about RedHat?" Then I realised I opened this in a new tab and it's a webcast.

If you use RedHat you may like this. Personally the guy looks like he was prepped on what tone of voice to use, how to look and how to act for the whole thing. He's of course making it seem like he's the only guy on Earth working for the only company on Earth that can do what it is they do. (Screw customers by dropping RedHat 9 and allowing no upgrade path for Fedora. and of course having highest prices of any Linux).

OK I'm bitter but they lost my respect long ago.

Computer Forensics
    Gore, I'm sorry, what was the point here? To complain about redhat? Is it really security related? Why not move this to GCC or somewhere more appropriate? I actually thought you were going to tell us something about redhat that made it uber. :/
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Awww Hoggy.... Actually I just gave a few rips on RedHat but I posted it for the people who actually use it.

The video does have a slightly overproducedness about it but for people who use RedHat or don't know much about Linux in a corporate environment this could answer quite a few questions for them.

Didn't post it to rip RedHat a new ass, mainly to have people watch the video and form their own conclusions.

Sorry I'm late, missed this one.
    I too was confused by the title, and why it was posted in the security thread, but since it is here ....

Personally the guy looks like he was prepped on what tone of voice to use, how to look and how to act for the whole thing.
    Guess you missed the part where he is the Marketing Manager for Red Hat ?

Guess you also missed where, in the second clip, he talks about the roll outs of Fedora being every 3-4 months, while the text alongside say 4-6 months ( actual is about 6 months ).

Also, I didn't notice the date when this was released.
    He talks about the plans to release their Red Hat Directory Server which I believe was released several months ago.

And then toward the end just touches on security ( they are not resting on their laurels you know ) with only the briefest mentioning ( if at all ) of ACLs or MACs ( with the SELinux inclusion ) which they say they provide full support for ( for subscribers of course ).

While on that topic, does anyone know of any other vendors supporting commercial SELinux products besides Red Hat and Guardian Digital ( EnGarde ) ? How is SUSE coming along with this?

(Screw customers by dropping RedHat 9 and allowing no upgrade path for Fedora. and of course having highest prices of any Linux).
    As for RH9, the Fedora Legacy Project currently fully supports RH 7.3 and RH9 ( the project is supported by RH, though not fully ), as well as FC1 and FC2.

As for upgrade paths for Fedora, each has been upgradeable to the next, though there have been some problems. I prefer to do a new install, and the way I constantly try and install different things it is usually a good idea anyway, but I'm only talking about a few boxes.

I did not know however of the new life cycle of RHE ... 7 years.
    I only wish I could afford it.
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Lol don't act like you're trying to flame me. Maybe it's that I just woke up but your tone seems pissy about it.

Second, when they dropped RedHat 9, Fedora had no upgrade from it. Meaning You HAD to reformat. I know this pissed people off who hadbeen using it a lot, hell a couple of people here were pissed about it.

Next, if you read my reply, I posted it for the RedHat users here.

Yep, he was pretty polished, Gore. Even his bald spot glowed the whole time.

It was a pretty good overview of the RedHat strategy.

Thanks, I needed that.

Lol don't act like you're trying to flame me. Maybe it's that I just woke up but your tone seems pissy about it.
    Gore, you know me, if I was trying to flame you there would be no doubt. Just the facts, sir, just the facts

Next, if you read my reply, I posted it for the RedHat users here.
    Been a RH user since 5.0, so don't I count?

As far as the RH9 -> Fedora, I never tried that, RH9 was still relatively new at the time and there was no need I saw to change. Actually, I have helped with installs of RH9 for people recently as Fedora seemed not quite stable for what was needed. Just depends on what they are using it for; last was a Samba server. ( And I did give them a choice between RH and SUSE, I think he flipped a coin. ) It runs rock hard and stable.

At the time Fedora came out I withheld my opinion of RH's shift in policy, while most vehemently objected. As a user, I can now say I object to being used to test their bleeding edge software without also having access to a stable version. If you look back, that is the way RH always worked. Their Enterprise software was always based on a version that was tested by the masses first, it just wasn't named so differently, was not quite so bleeding edge, and was not so obvious.

But I don't believe we would ever have had the rapid development we have seen in SELinux without the Fedora Project. With tens of thousands of people using Fedora, even if only 1 percent provide feedback that is a lot of people debugging!

Some say SELinux is the future of Linux, others say it is a dead end ( can't find any of the articles right now. )
    With the recent polishing of OpenOffice and stability of Gnome and KDE , the addition of MACs, all that appears missing for Linux to truly become accepted mainstream at the desktop and workstation level for commercial use appears to be an easier way of managing the networks.

Is Red Hat Directory Server the answer?

I have been trying to set up Fedora Directory Server with a friend to play with it ( it is reportedly the same functional program as RHDS ) but just can't seem to find the time. I've read some of the reviews but they lack any kind of detail.

Has anyone here been playing with it yet?

edit Oh wait. Forgot about that comment about SUSE and SELinux ... /edit
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Why not just use Centos? I use it on a Web server for testing. It's RedHat Enterprise for free. So far it's holding up pretty well. As for KDE and Gnome, heh, SUSE funds KDE and pays a large amount of their coders. KDE even has SUSE on their website as their main people. They are paid by SUSE, and the little KDE parties are all funded by SUSE. Gnome is now being funded by them so expect it to start not sucking. Not that Gnome sucks but it's not as polished as KDE is.

But now SUSE is going to start funding them so they should be able to work at it. which is another point, Enterprise SUSE is going to have Gnome more prominently displayed than before. Personally I don't care what they switch to, I can use all window managers I've come across and when all else fails, I can type init 3.

Now as I said before, this thread was a half joke on RedHat but was posted so people who use RedHat or are thinking they may want to switch from Windows to something else, this could help them and with the feedback, it has at least one person.

It wasn't meant to make me sound like I think RedHat is the worse Linux distro on Earth (SLS Linux Bet THAT pissed a few people off ) But it seems a few took it that way. I liked RedHat.... Well, actually let me explain my stance on RedHat:

The first time I tried RedHat was with 6.1. The POS crashed during a write to the MBR and I had to sit up long periods to fix it. After that I hated ReDHat because, well, the thing crashed and sucked. After a while, I started trying to use Linux again because I wanted to try another distro. I bought Mandrake 7.1. I used that as a dual boot with Windows for quite some time but I could never get online and could never use sound because the card never worked.

The first distro I had :

Open Linux 1.3. I bought it with A Free BSD Power Pack. Which may confuse some people as I learned Free BSD before I learned Linux

Well, after a while I was like OK I have high speed internet now and people tell me Linux and BSD work much better with that type of connection than dial up. So I installed Mandrake 7.1 again, and it wouldn't let me online even then.

I was like OK the hell with it.

In December of 2003 I was at Best Buy and had extra cash so I was looking at software I wanted. I bought Partition Magic 8 and then, I was looking over a new distro of Linux. I knew I wouldn't be able to get the net working with it so I was looking for something cool to play with anyway. Mandrake.... 8 or 9 I don't know which right now. But I saw this thing called SUSE 8.1 Professional.

I was thinking OK, which one do I want? I've never used SUSE and it could be cool, and I am wondering what in the **** could possibly be in this giant box. I thought, hmmm, I have a Mandrake version at home. Hmmm maybe SUSE has drivers that are updated and can use my hardware now.

Hmmmmm, I thought and thought and an hour later grabbed SUSE.

As I was on the way home I was listening to a CD while my Mom and Aunt were talking and I started looking over the box.

January was when I finally installed it for the first time. I got it done and thought man this was easy as hell. Hmm, WOW this is awesome, looks way better than Mandrake did. I open a shell and load up a browser to look at my home dir.... And for some reason I tried pinging a web site. I'm not sure why because I figured, it's not going to work anyway, I can't get online and haven't configured my cards.

Sure enough it gave an error. I sighed. Then I realised I typed something wrong. I tried again and BOOM ICMP decided to reply. I was like uhhhhh Wait a minute....

Loaded a browser and BOOM Yahoo.com loads.

Yea, I was like shaking. I actually finally got the thing going.

Made a post here announcing it and now, I think back about that in awe. Worked right out of the box no configuration nothing.

And now I get called the arrogant SUSE elitist when I stand up for the distro that got me started in learning OSs.

Why not just use Centos?
    Where have I been? Never heard of it before.
    Was going to try using the source files, maybe next month, but this may be easier. ( Not as much fun though.)

That's at least two people this thread helped!

Still looking for users of Red Hat Directory Server .