Thread: Secret US prisons

Frustrated Mad Scientist

Secret US prisons

Don't know if this has appeared in the US media. I heard about it on the radio a few days ago and saw it again on the beeb website this morning.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4419960.stm

It alledges that the US government has secret prisons in overseas locations, notable eastern Europe, where it is holding detainees. The US gov is using overseas locations to skirt round human rights legislation which would apply at home and I suppose to get away from the PR turd that is Guantanamo.

It's a particularly scary story if true, the US gov is neither confirming or denying, but the CIA is taking legal steps to prosecute the source of the alledged leak.

Some scary quotes from a scary story

On Tuesday Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice averted questions on the issue, saying only that the US was in a "different kind of war" and had an obligation to defend itself.
    I've always thought Rice had the appearance of a little girl in over her head doing what she was told.

Earlier on Tuesday, the US defence department issued a new directive prohibiting physical or mental torture of prisoners.
    That's nice. So they HAD to issue a directive to stop it. What the hell was happening before.

Scary days. Gotta go I hear black helecopters and I've not got my tinfoil hat on.

Scary days. Gotta go I hear black helecopters and I've not got my tinfoil hat on.
    Ya better hide indeed ...the webcrawler of the CIA/NSA has you pegged for possible troublemaker now ... ... you will not even see or here helicopters ... they will trigger the attack remotely to your PC ...don't touch your keyboard and or mouse ...they might give ou electro shocks

But on a more serious note... if it is true ...

C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

CIA Holds Terror Suspects in Secret Prisons
    Debate Is Growing Within Agency About Legality and Morality of Overseas System Set Up After 9/11

By Dana Priest
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Wednesday, November 2, 2005; Page A01

The CIA has been hiding and interrogating some of its most important al Qaeda captives at a Soviet-era compound in Eastern Europe, according to U.S. and foreign officials familiar with the arrangement.

The secret facility is part of a covert prison system set up by the CIA nearly four years ago that at various times has included sites in eight countries, including Thailand, Afghanistan and several democracies in Eastern Europe, as well as a small center at the Guantanamo Bay prison in Cuba, according to current and former intelligence officials and diplomats from three continents.
    Washington Post Nov 2 2005

Like anyone should be surprised...............

This is the CIA, they don't recognise borders, never have, never will, if the US can go after private citizens from another country through their courts, what do you think would hold up the CIA from doing it covertly?

Check out the new faces where you work, you just never know
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

This story has been doing the rounds for the past couple of months or longer. The main differance is that countrys in europe are implicated now. Here is a link to a story that on the BBc web site from last june. bbc news

US suspects 'face torture overseas'
    By Dan Isaacs
    BBC News

Protesters accuse the US of condoning torture
    It is no secret that the US military operates detention centres around the world for the interrogation of terror suspects.

The treatment of prisoners in these places - including Guantanamo Bay in Cuba, Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan and Abu Ghraib in Iraq - has come in for intense scrutiny and evidence of human rights violations has been widely reported.

But less well-documented is the process by which terror suspects are sent by the United States for interrogation by security officials in other countries.

This is known as "rendition" and is becoming increasingly controversial because many of these countries - including Syria and Egypt - are accused of using torture on prisoners, not least by the US State Department.

'Tortured in Syria'

Maher Arar is a Canadian citizen who in 2002 was detained in transit at New York's JFK airport, and accused of being an al-Qaeda member.

After 12 days in US custody, he was bundled in chains aboard a plane to Jordan and then taken by road to the Syrian capital, Damascus. There, Mr Arar claims, he was tortured by Syrian security police.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I'd be more suprised if they DIDN'T have jails all round this planet, why take em all the way back to the States when you can chew em up local ???
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Does anyone really care what will happen to a infrahuman? Is that your brother, are you your brothers keeper?

That's sooooooooooo sweet!